Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions About Setting Up A Good DF Story  (Read 1117 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Questions About Setting Up A Good DF Story
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:48:28 pm »

1. Fort mode or adventure mode? Or both.
2. How would I go about making a dungeon so that when I play adventure mode things aren't randomly strewn about. Also, do weapon traps disappear in adventure mode?
3. If you have a good story going, but noone is bumping it, is it fair to bump it? If so, under what conditions.
4. How do you upload saves for bloodline games?
5. How do you find the right balance between story and gameplay?
---
More to come, possibly.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Setting Up A Good DF Story
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:09:22 pm »

1. Entirely up to you, whatever floats your boat.  This is your thread and your story that you are telling.
2. Stick them in bins with heavy things, I think?  I'm still a dwarf fort noob.
3. Fair to bump, if you have extra story exposition to add.  People may be reading it, just not bumping it for you. 
4. There are many free upload sites around, take a look at what sites everyone else is using.
5. Decide on what sort of restrictions you are placing on yourself and others if its a succession type story.  Decide on these sort of things before you start.  Tell what happens in game and tell it in a vivid way from 3rd person or 1st person perspective.  Past or present tense.  But when you get into a routine stick with it, dont change it half way through or you'll confuse your audience.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:10 pm »

Thanks, but do you know if weapon traps are still there in adventure mode? Also, in my first attempt to do a story game I did switch from 3rd to 1st person, but only in the logs. Actually, I don't know what 'person' it was in. 3rd is words like 'them' and 'they'. 1st are words like 'I' and 'we'. But I wasn't mixing the too, but it wasn't either of those.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:10:27 pm »

weapon traps automaticly don't affect you I think but you can set it so they do in the init file.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:16 pm »

Woah. Thanks userpay, I did that right away! Oops that rhymed, sorry.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:57:53 pm »

Another question, how to I 'save scum'?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 03:14:27 am »

Save the game, close Dwarf Fortress (you may not need to do this but I always do), go in to the data\save directory, and copy the appropriate region (e.g. region1 if it's your first world) folder to a nice safe backup location.

Then go back and play DF. When something awful happens (favourite dwarf dies, goblin siege at the wrong time, accidentally flood the fortress with magma) you can close DF, and copy the backed up folder back in to the data\save directory, replacing region1 or whatever it was.

Then reopen Dwarf Fortress and your dwarves will be wandering around like nothing ever happened.

There may be an easier method or an automated tool to do it but that's what I do. However, do remember that losing is fun! ;-D

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:30:42 am »

Save the game, close Dwarf Fortress (you may not need to do this but I always do), go in to the data\save directory, and copy the appropriate region (e.g. region1 if it's your first world) folder to a nice safe backup location.

Then go back and play DF. When something awful happens (favourite dwarf dies, goblin siege at the wrong time, accidentally flood the fortress with magma) you can close DF, and copy the backed up folder back in to the data\save directory, replacing region1 or whatever it was.

Then reopen Dwarf Fortress and your dwarves will be wandering around like nothing ever happened.

There may be an easier method or an automated tool to do it but that's what I do. However, do remember that losing is fun! ;-D

The easier method would be to continue on as normal after a save, and then if something bad happens just simply close DF via the processes (NOT applications) tab in the ctlr+alt+del menu. No need to abandon and recopy the old save over, since exiting that way doesn't save your progress.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:02:15 pm »

Yes, but that way is unstable. It can screw up save files, according to the wiki. So I am going to do the traditional method, as suggested by Jools.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:16:10 pm »

Traps are unavoidable in adventure mode so you may want to keep them turned off until Toady makes them disarm-able or whatnot.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:31:52 pm by Thendash »
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.