Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Donations, Disasters, and Looting From Cars.  (Read 978 times)

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Donations, Disasters, and Looting From Cars.
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:44 am »

I've been thinking on a few LCS related ideas, and I though I'd post them here. Please comment, I'd like to know if anybody else thinks they're good, or if I've been thinking up the wrong tree.

1. Donations: It seems to me that certain issues are harder to influence than others, and I was
                   thinking that, if the player is having a hard time influencing said issues, then it might
                   make it easier if they could donate money to various special-interest groups. For
                   example: If you're having a hard time convincing the nation to adopt better
                   gun-control policies, then you could donate a specified amount of money to Citizens
                   Against the Second Amendment (or whatever it could be called in-game). This would
                   slightly raise the popularity of that one issue. The way I was envisioning this would be
                   either as a "Donation Management Screen" that you could go into, or as a random
                   event that would come along from time to time. In the random event scenario, a
                   screen would pop up (much like for newspapers/new supreme court judges)
                   announcing that a campaigner for (whatever issue they represent) has shown up at
                   an LCS safehouse and is appealing for financial assistance to aid them in launching an
                   advertising campaign (I'd imagine what the need the money for could be flexible,
                   much like certain aspects of newspaper articles are) supporting their liberal point of
                   view. You would then have the option of donating money to their cause, or telling them
                   to get lost.

2. Disasters: I've been watching the recent hurricane season with some interest, and it's got me to thinking
                  that if similar natural or human disasters happened in the cities the LCS was operating in, it might
                  be a good way for the LCS to improve thair relationship with the public. The way I envisioned it
                  was that, after waiting a day, you'd get a screen announcing that a disaster (hurricane, tornado,
                  earthquake, gas pipe explosion, etc) had struck the city, and you'd be able to select from a list
                  of different LCS responses. These could range from simply donating money, to having all your
                  active members cancelling their planned activitys/raids for the day and actually going to the site
                  of the disaster to help with rescue efforts/assisting the survivors, etc. This would in a higher
                  public opinion of the LCS, and, ideally, a shiny newspaper article praising the LCS for their brave
                  helpful actions. I realize this suggestion does have a number of problems associated with it. How
                  would the game handle LCS rescuers with criminal warrents, how would the game's engine
                  differentiate between cities (we don't want hurricanes in Denver, after all), and the like. Overall,
                  though, I think the idea could be interesting if implemented right.

3. Looting From Cars: While stealing a car in a previous game of LSC, I wondered why I never came across 
                              anything of interest while searching for keys. I was thinking that, on rare occasions,
                              while searching for keys in a car, the player should occasionally find other useful loot.
                              It would be something along the lines of "Score! (Name) found a cellphone in the
                              glovebox while searching for keys!", "Sweet, (Name) found $2 in spare change while
                              digging around inside the car", or even "Holy Mother Of Science! While searching for
                              a set of car keys, (name) found a drycleaning bag containing a cheap suit!". As it
                              stands, the cars just strike me as a little too barren.

4. More Loot: I've actually considered attempting to do this myself, but adding more lootable items to the
                   game is probably a tad trickier than adding human names (If I'm wrong, let me know, I could
                   get on this within the hour). Some of the additional types of items that could be found: DVD
                   Players, Stereos, Game Consoles, Microwaves, Coffee Makers, MP3 Players (Another item that
                   could be available as "car loot") DVDs (Common in apartments, but only worth about $5) Video
                   Games (Worth more than DVDs, but still fairly cheap. $10/$15?), PDAs, and the like.

Anyway, those were just some ideas I had floating through my head. Please comment if you like them/think they're rubbish/kind of like them but think they're in need of serious refinement/etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:35:53 am by Capital Fish »
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donations, Disasters, and Looting From Cars.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:38:20 pm »

Donations actually give a good excuse for LCS to store tons of money. I think you can trigger a random event where a random Liberal group asks for money. Give money to them, and you affect the issues only slightly. Make it pretty ineffective, due to how easy it is to get money in LCS right now.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:08:04 pm »

being innefeicent unless you donate kilo-tons of green paper with washington on it would give me a reason to put more people on fundraising.
Hello Hunam

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 09:13:02 am »

maybe you can get weapon out of cars if gun laws are red
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:35:48 am »

maybe you can get weapon out of cars if gun laws are red

Holy Smokes! While searching inside the car, (name) found a loaded .44 Magnum!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:38:55 pm »

Because his int skill was one he killed himself with it!

press C to contemplate your faliure.
Hello Hunam

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:46 am »

I went and took it upon myself to create some more loot items. I probably missed a crucial step somewhere, but here are the results of my efforts to create more loot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)