Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is going to be difficult, but... (and ended brutally)  (Read 1457 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
This is going to be difficult, but... (and ended brutally)
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:49:20 am »

Hi!

So, I finally started playing 40c and wanted to get into the dungeon challenge. I have a nice idea centering on doing something prestiguous for the king and nobility, and if space permits, also for hunters.

Okay, so I got a world living up to my expectations (or so I thought), and I embarked on a 2x2 location.

Good, no cave location (caves are always hidden in my worlds), and no indication of chasm or some other trouble. Let's just hope there is no magma disruption my digging.

Uh-oh, 2x2 is definitely too small for the hunter bonus idea. Oh, well, it was a bonus, so skip that.

Wildlife is not a problem, even though I picked wilderness - that's good.

So, I start digging, making crafts, and doing other things I need to do. Autumn comes, winter comes...

No dwarven caravan (T_T)

I thought you would always get a dwarven caravan, but seemingly, it does take world generation into account. And the dwarven civs got destroyed some centuries ago.

No dwarven caravan and no dwarven immigrants ... not really the kind of challenge I was looking for. Oh, well, I know there are elves and humans around, and at least with humans I may get some of the extra things I had planned to import.

So, the elves come, we do a bit of trading, nothing special. Got also my first kobold thieves, but they are nice background noise.

Then the humans come. While preparing the trading, I notice a wounded "U" at the edge of the screen. Yep - that's the guild representative, a stout veteran who has lost an arm in world gen and passed out from the pain. The multi-page inventory of wildlife ear rings and trinkets is also probably part of the reason why he won't get up.

I did not think much about it, only made sure my broker had no jobs distracting her so that the meeting may succeed - until I saw the dwarves carrying trinkets INTO my fortress and not from my craft workshops. Uh-oh. I suddenly remembered that the representative was moving towards my fortress from the side where I already placed weapon traps, and there was this thing about falling/lying/unconscious characters and traps ...... (^_^;;

Well, at least the merchants didn't seem to mind, so I was able to get some goods. I just hope they send me a new representative. And preferably soon.

Despite this not being what I had in mind, I plan to continue this fortress, although I am worried about attacks (I do have a pair of lovers, but they are not married yet, and even then a child would need 12 years to grow up...).

I hope kobold sieges and goblin ambushers currently also have minimum populations (goblin sieges were 80, right?). Otherwise, this will probably end up rather nasty (T_T).

But then again, if my 7 dwarves are able to create what I had in mind, that would be really nice.

Deathworks
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:27:59 am by Deathworks »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: This is going to be difficult, but...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:54:53 am »

like the migrants you recive arent from legends i don't see why wou won't recive them ... maybe next year.
god luck for it anyway ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 04:57:14 am »

Hi!

Well, thus far, no dwarven civ is listed in my civ list. I got kobolds, humans, and elves listed.

But yes, there is still some small hope that creating more wealth might get some dwarves out of oblivion - otherwise I have to dig myself in and try to get those marriages going.

Deathworks

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:01:50 am »

but in this case you will have the responsability of the survive of dwarfen race ;)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OUCH!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:26:53 am »

Hi!

I guess I should have taken the hint...

Did some nice trading with the second elven caravan, glass production was looking fine and I even had a wall engraved (no interesting engravings, though.

Them summer comes and a kobold thief. As an impromptu recruit chases it (actually no chance of catching the kobold as it was spotted half-way towards the border by one of my many cats), I get the notification: A vile force has arrived.

Yikes! Already a kobold siege?

I quickly move across the borders of my map... "U" in green and in white/light grey!

I guess they did bear a grudge after the accident with their guild representative. Of course, my defenses were not even half ready for a siege and they were at a medium problematic edge of the map (not the worst, but a good candidate for it).

Lesson 1 I learned: Dwarves can't go outside is not a good idea when there are currently dwarves outside.

Lesson 2: Human sieges can come with archers.

I was actually quite lucky. While I lost several animals and had at least 2 seriously wounded dwarves and one or two dead dwarves, the siegers did choose to move through the one line of inner defenses which was already ready.

The last two archers beat a retreat through that line of traps bringing the number of survivors to 1 ... and then the game crashed.

I guess I should have realized right from the start that DF didn't want that fortress to succeed.

So, back to genning new worlds until I get one with dwarves as well so things will be not that difficult.

Deathworks

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OUCH!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:36:23 am »

Hi!

I guess I should have taken the hint...

Did some nice trading with the second elven caravan, glass production was looking fine and I even had a wall engraved (no interesting engravings, though.

Them summer comes and a kobold thief. As an impromptu recruit chases it (actually no chance of catching the kobold as it was spotted half-way towards the border by one of my many cats), I get the notification: A vile force has arrived.

Yikes! Already a kobold siege?

I quickly move across the borders of my map... "U" in green and in white/light grey!

I guess they did bear a grudge after the accident with their guild representative. Of course, my defenses were not even half ready for a siege and they were at a medium problematic edge of the map (not the worst, but a good candidate for it).

Lesson 1 I learned: Dwarves can't go outside is not a good idea when there are currently dwarves outside.

Lesson 2: Human sieges can come with archers.

I was actually quite lucky. While I lost several animals and had at least 2 seriously wounded dwarves and one or two dead dwarves, the siegers did choose to move through the one line of inner defenses which was already ready.

The last two archers beat a retreat through that line of traps bringing the number of survivors to 1 ... and then the game crashed.

I guess I should have realized right from the start that DF didn't want that fortress to succeed.

So, back to genning new worlds until I get one with dwarves as well so things will be not that difficult.

Deathworks

Oh no! don't give up! All you really *need* is a secure farm and a kitchen for cooking and brewing right? You have the chance for all your dwarves to be related  :D
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is going to be difficult, but... (and ended brutally)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 03:01:50 pm »

Hi!

Actually, with 5 dwarves left and the siege repelled, I would have continued the fortress - but as DF crashed on me on that occasion, I took the hint. So, sorry, I have moved away from that fortress and world for now.

I have already started in a new world, and I just got my first immigrant wave putting me to Sheriff level populationwise.

I have not seen the human diplomat of this new world, but I really hope that it is not another veteran (or rather hunter, as all the trinkets the previous one had were animal-based). Once that is confirmed, I can finally build all the traps I need to keep things quiet so I can concentrate on the fortress design (looking good thus far).

Changing worlds has already paid off as I was able to ask the dwarven liason to bring me rubies and gold ... an essential part of my original plans.

I may do the dwarven ressurection challenge (no dwarven civ) again later, but right now, I would rather want to support the dungeon challenge, as it will take a lot of time and I want it done before there is the next release.

Come to think of it, I always wanted to do a dwarven ressurection challenge. I was quite disappointed when marriage was originally restricted to immigrants, making such a challenge more of a hermit challenge plus. So, if I have time, I guess I will come back to this kind of setup (preferably without humans sieging me, though :) :) :) ).

Deathworks

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:32:12 pm »

Oh, my current fortress plans involving building stuff out of way too much gold for Jesus to count. Since you're doing that as well and started before me, do you know how much gold the dwarven caravan is actually capable of bringing in one trip? Gold bars are preeeetty heavy.

I'm going to try seeing if golden crafts are actually more weight-efficient to import and melt down (although it'll sure as hell cost more and be more work in general).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:01 am »

Hi!

I am sorry, but I am a slow player, so the dwarves have not yet arrived with the goods. In addition, I also ordered jet and other heavy stuff, so my results wouldn't mean much. Besides, I also kept the prices low (at the moment I still don't have enough craft production to buy them all out).

As for the crafts, I am not sure about this. After all, as far as I know, you need to melt down several metal items to get a metal bar and for each melting you will need a unit of fuel - so you either order charcoal from the caravans or deforest your map regularly... So, I think it is a more complex issue.

Deathworks

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:51:52 am »

Or build some kind of golden shrine around the magma vent ;)
Magma is overrated.