Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Really really REALLY slow wagon  (Read 1665 times)

Jintor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Really really REALLY slow wagon
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:05:25 am »

Like, super slow. One square across after about 5 seconds. The rest of the merchants embarked before this wagon could arrive, meaning I couldn't trade at all because the Merchant kept telling me to 'wait for the wagon to arrive'. And then they upped and left.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Really really REALLY slow wagon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:55:08 am »

Could it be that the driver or any of the draft animals was wounded?

Jintor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:25:54 am »

They had only just entered the map, so I doubt that was it.

On a similar note, about a year later the merchants and all their guards got attacked as they sat in the trade depot. After I routed the goblins, they went back to the trade depot, but it says that "No merchants are here". Damnit. This is the third month I've gone without decent trade.

/EDIT Hmm, I guess they must have gotten scared off by the goblins and packed up and left instead. That would explain why there was no merchants available to trade. Ah well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:49:56 am by Jintor »

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:14:38 pm »

There were reports of buggish super-heavy items. Maybe that wagon had one slowing it down. Just a wild guess here.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Jintor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »

It happened the second the wagon came onto the map (I was watching it inch its way across the map) so I suspect that was probably it.

/EDIT: UPDATE

Two seasons later: A wagon appears and rockets across the map to my trade depot. And I mean rockets. It swiftly outpaced its complement of guards and nearly teleported into my depot, except that I could see it was merely moving something like 5 squares a second. A nice change, but still strange behaviour.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:14:40 am by Jintor »

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:27:07 am »

It happened the second the wagon came onto the map (I was watching it inch its way across the map) so I suspect that was probably it.

/EDIT: UPDATE

Two seasons later: A wagon appears and rockets across the map to my trade depot. And I mean rockets. It swiftly outpaced its complement of guards and nearly teleported into my depot, except that I could see it was merely moving something like 5 squares a second. A nice change, but still strange behaviour.

They opted for a wildy-coyote solution.  After their caravan been ambushed and found that their mules are too slow, the decided to strap a rocket to their mule.

Did you check the mule inventory?  Maybe they have something like ACME rocket on them.

Seriously thou, I think it is a valid bug. 
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:06:40 pm »

Bug? It's not a bug.

A normal wagon takes 10 seconds to go past 1 tile.

The real bug is that they don't do that.

:D
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:14:50 pm »

Do you still have a rocketing or slow wagon around?  If there's an item that has a bugged weight, maybe a negative weight (which should never happen but who knows) can speed up the wagon.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!