Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tough falls  (Read 573 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tough falls
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:17:50 pm »

The new construction-building interface is dangerous: you can easily designate large areas and accidentally include some unsupported areas that are reachable (by bridges or grates).

The project I was working on at the time was building a roof two levels above my combination zoo / statue garden / magma forges.  I designated a 6x10 set of floors, not really noticing that one of them was accessible via a bridge I'd previously built to put up a wall.  My legendary wood cutter / carpenter start dwarf went up (with her baby) to put in this piece of floor.  Of course, it collapsed immediately when she finished it. 

Luckily, it didn't land on anyone; and the worst injured was the dwarf who fell two floors; she took a mild spinal injury, both she and baby have lots of bruises, and so does one other dwarf.  No biggie.

However, it did push people around and knock them unconscious. Recall the bit about my magma forges.  Who should have chanced but to get tossed into the hot drink?  Why, the mayor, of course, and her baby.

Darn shame, too.  She liked chairs and copper.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tough falls
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:38 pm »

Two-and-a-half years later the wounded are finally recovering from the whole line of grates I ordered removed.  I think they fell down three or for levels, I'm surprised they survived at all.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.