Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a newfound respect to match the newfound annoyance for elves  (Read 1555 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So every time the elves come now, they bring with them a platoon of goblin bastards with bastard filling. This would normally be okay, since I want wood, but the elves get slaughtered nine times out of ten.

Now, this is normally annoying, BUT, I just watched an elf drag literally half a donkey to my Trade Depot fast enough that a goblin hammerer couldn't keep up. Mind you, once he got there the donkey died, I got all his stuff, and he turned and left, so.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have a newfound respect to match the newfound annoyance for elves
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:03:14 am »

What's the problem, the gobbo's come, the elves get slaughtered and you get free wood, when the goblins have been dealt with.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:09:31 pm »

Elves and goblins dead. Its a win-win!

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:59:01 pm »

you respect someone who continually and knowingly travels to your fort unprotected when they know goblins are a very high possibility?

elf 1: Oh darn, no one came back from that dwarf town again. They must have died to horrible monsters along the way, they need protection! OR, they love it there, and it's a totally awesome place for us to hang out with out any weapons at all--that must be it, yeah!
elf 2-8: OH OH, pick me to go on the next trade mission! this dwarven eden must be to DIE for!

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:13:48 pm »

how many elves die before they turn against you and start sieging along with the goblins?

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:43:20 pm »

For all you know, deep in the Elven Retreat...

Elven Advisor : My lord, who shall we send to the dwarves this year?
Elven King : Ye know that guy who laughed at my new *naked mole dog leather dress* at the party last night?  Push him to the top of my "list".  Then send the first 2 blokes on the list with some useless cloth and wood junk to the short-beards.  As usual, tell them that we "hate" wood and we "hate" blood and we "hate" meat.  hah hah, gullible peasants...
Elven Advisor : Yes, very convenient, my lord.  However, I would like to remind my lord that it'll be the 20th "merchant party" we've gotten rid of... I mean... lost to the dangers of the dwarven scums.  We would appear weak if we continue to send parties to death without any signs of protest.
Elven King : Good point.  This time, we'll send the first TWENTY of the names on my "list" on ... eh.. an ambush... as a warning, yeah that's it.  My "list" is growing longer than we can "clear" the names over the last century.  Then after we "lost' a couple of ambushes, we'll send a siege for "revenge".  Make sure they are outfitted in only cheapskate wooden weapons and cloth armor and don't let them bring anything else of value.  Maybe I'll have a chance of halving the length of my list by my next decade birth anniversary after all...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:20:58 pm »

I don't really get the hatred of the elves. Sure, they're trade restrictions can be annoying, but I mostly trade away stone or metal crafts anyway. And they bring wood, which is always needed, and occasionally cool tamed beasts for my fort. Anyone who'll bring me a Giant Jaguar for my fort is ok by me!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:14:50 pm »

I do enjoy the grizzly bears they drag to my fort that I can chain up by the entrance.

Goblin: Hah! No resistance at all! I can already see the front gate! Time to kill us some- OH GOD A BEAR!

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:24:34 pm »

I don't really get the hatred of the elves. Sure, they're trade restrictions can be annoying, but I mostly trade away stone or metal crafts anyway. And they bring wood, which is always needed, and occasionally cool tamed beasts for my fort. Anyone who'll bring me a Giant Jaguar for my fort is ok by me!

With the pre-zerg elves, I could almost agree with you.  Now, they really are the vicious, treehugging, cannibalistic bastards people say they are.  Just look at the legends mode and see what there wars look like....
*shudders*
Fefeshnelmargalip

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:40:33 pm »

I don't like the elves. I don't trade with them anything, because whatever they bring is worthless crap. If I need any cloth, I take it from them, because they won't trade for a bin full of worthless cra.....I mean, Wonderful Goods!
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »

Because 99% of the time, they only bring the caged animals once, and then default to a half-dozen boxes of Rope Reed Cloth and a (Wild Strawberries [5]).  You can eventually get them to bring more stuff by loading them up with enough offerings, but the fact that they come with just 2 pack animals and no wagons means that it takes a LONG time to do so because they can carry so little.

In my current fort, I went all-out to try to get the Elves to bring more non-crappy stuff.  I managed to get them to start bringing logs after a full decade of loading them with as much as they could carry, and they still haven't brought more animal cages despite the fact that the ones I bought the first time they showed up have started to die of old age.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.