Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How'd I catch on fire?  (Read 1920 times)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How'd I catch on fire?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »

I've never seen a firesnake cause a fire.  What I think caused the OP's holocaust was that most likely a fire imp got killed, and then somebody butchered it and stored the meat in a wooden barrel.  I don't know precisely how this works, but apparently even after death, a fire imp's flesh retains a high temperature, causing wooden items near fire imp meat to catch on fire.

I lost two consecutive fortresses to this problem before I figured out what was causing it.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 01:05:14 am »

Incidentally, my fortress is stocking up so much booze that I'm considering similar ideas of using them for defence as a big firetrap.  Only thing is, there isn't anything in-game that produces fire reliably and is directly controllable.  Maybe there should be a new "firestarter" trap?

Atm, I'm thinking more of something involving lava, pit-dump, and booze barrels.  Will need to set up experiments...

1)Make a booze stockpile on a bridge above the pit.
2)connect the bridge to a lever
3)Wait for goblins to come
4)Pull said lever
5)???
6)PROFIT!
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:35:12 am »

I've never seen a firesnake cause a fire.  What I think caused the OP's holocaust was that most likely a fire imp got killed, and then somebody butchered it and stored the meat in a wooden barrel.  I don't know precisely how this works, but apparently even after death, a fire imp's flesh retains a high temperature, causing wooden items near fire imp meat to catch on fire.

I lost two consecutive fortresses to this problem before I figured out what was causing it.

Same thing happened to me.  Killed an imp and eventually it got butchered and hauled off to the stockpiles and BOOM!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 08:51:22 pm »

imp fat explodes after butchering
Pages: 1 [2]