Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beware the fire imps...  (Read 1435 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beware the fire imps...
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:38:03 am »

So we all know fire imps. Annoying little buggers that come in packs of 3 to 5 free with any volcano, pretty harmless usually, easily dispatched. Harmless, right? Until now...

Having no wild animals in my area, I had 3 dwarfs designated on 'Hunt', so I observed them idling around the volcano. Wondering what the hell they were doing, I watched them for a while until one of the fire imps popped up. They proceeded to swarm and monkey-stomp the hell out of the little bugger, who was then promptly delivered to the butchers shop, and butchered. The remains were subsequently stored in there appropriate barrels - where they proceeded to set the contents of the barrel, and everything around them on fire.

The lesson here: DON'T HUNT FIRE IMPS!!! Just kill them to death, and throw them into the volcano they came from.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the fire imps...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:51:32 am »

I once had one set itself on fire. The donkey it was killing ignited. Of course the imp survived, the donkey did not. Well ... parts of the donkey survived. ;D
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:13:39 am »

Just kill them to death.
Good advice lol  ;D
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:19:58 am »

I once started a microfortress (3x3) with a magma pipe in the center. My wagon spawned right next to it.
I started digging into the hillside, and then imps started popping out. My carpenter/axedwarf killed three of them, but the fourth missed the dwarf with its fireball and hit my wagon. It looked like that Oklahoma train crash. Everything but 1 axe and three picks has perished in the fire.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:48:23 am »

It looked like that Oklahoma train crash.

Actually, how about a Georgian train wreck after hitting a landmine?

Anyhow, that sucks dude. Maybe you might want to include a water switch in your food stockpile when you reclaim?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:12:29 pm »

Don't throw them back in the volcano, *Fire Imp Skull Totems* and *Fire Imp Bone Flutes* are immensely valuable, in the order of 800 Dwarfbucks each, (getting experienced bone crafters from making million of bone bolts to keep your crossbowdwarves supplied with practice ammo) and I've made them without burning my fortress down.  If you want to be cautious (or for aesthetic reasons), designate a stockpile that only accepts Fire Imp Corpses and Fire Imp Bone/Skull items with a double stone door airlock, stone walls and stone floor that won't accept bins, so no flammables get put near them.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 12:21:14 pm »

it's my understanding that a fire imp corpse was safe until it arrived in the butcher's shop and was butchered.  at that point, I think some of the parts (chunks and meat) ignited, leading to the firey death of a butcher, but leaving plenty of handsome looking bones.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 04:02:17 pm »

Fire Imp fat usually boils immediatly upon butchering, as it's really hot.

everything else usually is just fine, although I've heard stories of fire imp leather setting an entire fortress on fire once.

Never had it happen to me,e verything worked out just fine.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 07:25:44 pm »

Toady should really make fire imp bone bolts set their targets on fire..

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:10:37 pm »

I fear that is more likely to result in the bolts setting your own archers on fire, starting with their quivers.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:49:24 pm »

Not with a trained Alchemist to carefuly treat the bolts.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what version are you playing?

I say this because one of my hunters has managed to successfully butcher a fire-imp - and nothing is set on fire yet (in 39f).

Another hidden feature?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

I say this because one of my hunters has managed to successfully butcher a fire-imp - and nothing is set on fire yet (in 39f).

Another hidden feature?
You don't have temperature disabled by chance, do you?
That'd cause that.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:08 pm »

Another hidden feature?
You don't have temperature disabled by chance, do you?
That'd cause that.

Nope, same is happened to me. I'm in a savage yet not very populated area on a magma pipe. After my three hunters slaughtered a half dozen herds of camels, the proceeded to turn all three imps into pin cushions. That was six years agao, and I have yet to see a fire. Then again, my butchers shop is made of gypsum, and I have coppers barrels.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils