Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage traps?  (Read 971 times)

prism indigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage traps?
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:21:45 am »

I'm fairly new to using traps in dwarf fortress. And I built a cage trap. is there any way to bait it or something?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage traps?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:28:54 am »

Nope (at least not the "Trap" style of cage traps, the one you build in the traps sub-menu). You have to position it in a hallway if you want to be sure to intercept something.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:58:29 am »

One trick is to build/dig walls/channels in order to create chokepoints enemies/creatures are then forced through and build the traps there.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:05:59 am »

Well if you're prepared to make a few, you could always tie up a donkey that enemies can only get at by going through the traps. Enemies love killing farm animals.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 10:02:43 am »

or you can involve your dwarfs in your experiments by locking a dwarf in a room with a trap until he falls asleep and triggers it... all in the name of science, of course
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 04:37:17 pm »

They just won't go to sleep, if they're standing on the trap. It was a fix to prevent hilarious accidents. There are other ways to catch one, though. They make great zoo exhibits, especially after they go insane. From my personal experience, your other dwarves will forcefeed them too, keeping them alive for a while.