Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making FIRE!  (Read 1368 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Making FIRE!
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:40:53 pm »

So I know how to make creatures spontaneously combust and freezing-boiling items.  I know HEAT tags for damage only do heat damage, not actual flames.  But, what about BURN?  Do weapons with the BURN damage type set fire to flammable objects?
From what I've heard, anything 200 or above will..  Haven't had any sieges/ambushes to attempt it yet, but these 200-damage BURN trap components that I have set up in my entryway should give a good indication..  As long as I'm on the topic, would a COLD damage attack..  put out a fire?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Making FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:44:08 pm »

I don't think cold would, but I know a nice flood will. Only one way to find out, create a super complex trap hallway with BURN and COLD Traps and a cleverly designed system to make them go down different hallways containing different traps. Oh and a flood lever. Or you could do something boring like try it in adventure mode...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:05:53 pm »

I don't think cold would, but I know a nice flood will. Only one way to find out, create a super complex trap hallway with BURN and COLD Traps and a cleverly designed system to make them go down different hallways containing different traps. Oh and a flood lever. Or you could do something boring like try it in adventure mode...
Far easier way would be to put BURN traps at the start and COLD traps at the end...  If there's any type of !!Item!! between the traps but not after, we'll have our answer.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:45 pm »

1. I remember someone saying that Burn/Heat weapons and attacks don't set things on fire. Not sure if there was any proof, though. Test out that hall of traps and let us know what happens.

2. If I remember correctly, if water meets fire, the fire wins. And makes a lot of steam.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you look at that hat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:12:16 pm »

Just tested this in adventure mode, a short sword set to 210 Burn damage will incinerate body parts, but will not set anything on fire as far as I can tell.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:47:14 pm »

I have yet to have an ambush..  up to year 203 from starting at 201..  gah, why are they not appearing?
Although, maybe it said 300..  As long as you're testing it, try 310.

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you look at that hat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »

Tried 310, with Burn and Heat respectively, still no luck.

Would you happen to know what raw changes require a fresh world gen to see in game?  Regen takes up most of the time in testing these, so it'd be good to know if I could just turn the game on and off.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Tried 310, with Burn and Heat respectively, still no luck.

Would you happen to know what raw changes require a fresh world gen to see in game?  Regen takes up most of the time in testing these, so it'd be good to know if I could just turn the game on and off.

Anytime that you add or take away an entire object, you have to regen. Just editing the entries doesn't require a new world to be generated. However, you must go into the data/objects file and delete the modded documents.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:43:51 am »

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE]
[NAME:axe:axes]
[ADJECTIVE:plasma-edged]
[DAMAGE:1500:HEAT]
[WEIGHT:60]
[SKILL:AXE]
[TWO_HANDED:15]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MACE]
[NAME:handled thermal baton:handled thermal batons]
[DAMAGE:1400:BURN]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:MACE]
[TWO_HANDED:14]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

As far as I've been able to determine, neither of these will set the target on fire.  Alas.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:46:33 am »

Burn damage is an equivalent of extreme hot metal/acid and heat is an equivalent of high temperature/energy/flame. I don't know why they are really separated, only Toady knows, but it's nothing to do with fire.
The only way to set things on fire is to play with fixed_temp, boiling_point etc.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:19:57 am »

I think the major difference is [BURN] and [HEAT] give different damage messages

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:01 am »

HEAT damage also sometimes, quite uncommonly, sets the corpse of the struck down creature on fire, or some of it clothes. Only had it happen rarely to me before. BURN however, has never produced this effect.
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0