Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcing civilizations to start anywhere possible?  (Read 1113 times)

rongonathon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Forcing civilizations to start anywhere possible?
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:21:28 pm »

I love a savage, evil, wet, flat, world. Problem is none of the civilizations think like I do. So, are there tags in the raws I can add to force them to settle anywhere in world gen mode? I get a lot of "No controllable entity definitions available" and I have a pretty good hunch that everyone is afraid of living in my vision of utopia.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing civilizations to start anywhere possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:44:37 pm »

As far as I know there is no way to force an entity to settle somewhere, but you could give them the start biome of ANY_LAND and then add that to their suitable living biomes with a number that is way up there, like 1000000 or something. That might work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:19:42 am »

Well, your races would need the [EVIL] and [SAVAGE] tags in their creature files, otherwise they can't use those lands. If they're still not spawning, change their start biome to ANY_LAND and put in BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAND:10

Those should work

rongonathon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »

Ah. Thank you. I wasn't sure if savage settling was hard-coded or not.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:03:22 pm »

Well, your races would need the [EVIL] and [SAVAGE] tags in their creature files, otherwise they can't use those lands.

Are you sure about that?  I was under the impression that it was the denizens of savage lands that tended to keep civilizations at bay, not the savagery itself.  Thus it would be possible yet difficult for a civ to expand into "here there be monsters" territory.

rongonathon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:47:13 pm »

Well, the tags worked...sort of. Everyone can settle anywhere now with the unexpected consequence of not having subterranean farming. I presume it is linked to the dwarfs not settling near cave rivers or some such as reported by Toady in another thread.
I will admit though it is terribly odd to have a dwarf caravan show up without the requisite pile of plump helmets.