Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drinking Issues  (Read 1180 times)

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drinking Issues
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:57:03 pm »

For some reason my dwarves dont seem to want to drink from the local ponds around my fort. I'm no where near an ocean so I dont think theyre saltwater and whilst pumping some water into a small pool to desalinize it all my dwarves hurridly went to drink from a pond nearby (but not the 'desalinized' one). Im currently growing my pump helmets to get my alcohol going (I dont usually start with any as the debuffs from not drinking alcohol dont usually kick in by the time I start producing it) but Im worried that one or two of my dwarves will die of dehydration before I can get it started.

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? : /
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:59:25 pm »

Zones. Use the "i" key to designate the ponds as drinking and/or fishing.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:34 pm »

Ive tried that but it doesnt seem to work (although incidentdly the pool they ran to after my pumping experiment was the one I designated for drinking), Im pretty sure theyre not just waiting as my mason has recently become dehydrated

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:11:48 pm »

They won't drink from a pond unless they are dehydrated.  They recieve bad thoughts from drinking stagnant water, and try to avoid it at all costs.   Making a well will solve this problem.

If, in the (o)rders menu,under zone management, you can set it so that dwarves will ONLY drink from designated water sources, and that should fix the problem.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:35 pm »

Also remember that designated zones must include the adjacent land that the dwarves stand on to reach the water.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:20:11 am »

Ah thanks guys, the well has fixed the problem :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 01:59:40 pm »

I am facing currently the same kind of problem.

Basically my recent new fortress is only underground, on the surface there is a simple hatch door as an entrance.

Near my fortress i have a nice river that goes through the whole map, lot of good fishing from it and for now no carps.

I designed a zone for fishing and a zone as water source not too far the entrance of my underground fortress.

In the 1st year, every dwarves were going to drink for the zone i designed.

Then they suddenly decided to ignore that zone and run all over the map to drink for another point of the same river.

I already lost 2 precious workers (as they began to have some good experience in their job) due to roaming animal while those idiots were ignoring my zone and going all the way to the opposite part of the maps.

Ambushes has not yet started to come, but if it continues like this i will lose tons of workers running to their death when ambushes will start to appear.

I tried to order to drink from zone-only, it did not solved the problem, i tried to select another zone for water source, it did not help either.

Currently after some management mistake, i don't have the means yet to get or even build a chain (or even a rope) for a well placed until the next dwarf trader wagon, and that is months away, if ambushes begin to appear before that, lots of dwarves are doomed as i doubt any of my military will be fast enough to get there when the surprise attacks come.

So is there someone that found a solution to such problem ? I can't understand why it worked perfectly in the 1st year but suddenly the dwarves began to ignore my water source zones (of the same river).

I am trying to roll as much barrel as i can to fill them with new alcohol drinks, but there is not a lot of wood on the map (its mostly mountain), so there will be a limit for this temp solution.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:43:54 pm »

Hi!

Robsoie: Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea why they are ignoring the zone (I think there is an orders entry for how flexible they are about it, but I don't know whether that is related to what you are experiencing).

Anyway, I strongly recommend that you get your still running instead of relying on water. Dwarven efficiency is reduced if you don't give them alcoholic beverages and their morale also declines, making breaks more likely (I think) and also increasing the danger of catastrophic tantrums if something bad (like the death of a friend) happens.

If you have any soil tiles near the entrance of your fortress, set up surface farms there; gather plants on the map and once you get results, you will be able to designate those plants for planting.

Deathworks

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:20:13 pm »

Thank you, i was not sure alcohol was always better than water for the dwarves moral.

I will move to the brewing way, i finished setting up some additional underground farms to avoid running out of brewing material, so hopefully it should be good, i just hope the few wood will be enough for more barrels, with the immigration waves.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 07:32:36 pm »

Hi!

If you are low on wood, make sure you ask for wood when you negotiate with the liaison and the human representative. Wood is extremely cheap, so it is a good investment.

Also make sure to have some bags available for the spawn/seeds to lessen the strain on your food stockpiles (fortunately, putting seeds in bags has recently been fixed, so this really has a positive effect).

Deathworks