Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with a mandate...?  (Read 1334 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a mandate...?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 05:48:28 am »

When I get any nobles I plan to have an emergency "Accident" system.

Each noble's room would be connected to a weapon trap or two set to fire on the noble should he pull the lever. First I plan to get him stuck in his giant room by locking the door then making him pull the lever and make it go off.

That or make him get locked in a cage and either starve or be sold to the Elves.

Has anyone ever done this?
If yes, how many do you get for a cage with a noble dwarf in it?
I donīt like killing nobles. Selling them and their spouses as slaves would however be a totally different thing :D

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 05:58:04 am »

Hi!

I am one of those who do not kill nobles and instead try to meet demands. However, I have to admit that I have had too little playing time in 39+ versions to get the full impact of current nobles.

I actually had one annoying incident when a freshly elected mayor (replacing another living dwarf at the top of the hierarchy) figured he should celebrate his election by making a mandate for adamantine items ... right, in a fortress in its second year without smelter, smithie, HFS, magma, chasm, cave, cave river or any other notable feature and maybe just three excavated z-levels.

Because of the high replacement rate of versions, the fortress has been scrapped before long, but if I had kept it, in that particular case, I would have tried to replace him democratically (since it was a mayor, that was an option, fortunately): Set him to do all labors and at the same time give a dwarf who is not an adamantine addict plenty of free time to bolster up social skills and make friends among the voters.

Of course, that trick wouldn't do for any of the real nobles, but I think it is more interesting to live with the risk and try to keep them well-fed and happy rather than murder them until the RNG gets tired of it and appeases you.

Deathworks

BTW, if you melt down metal goods, eventually you will get a bar of that metal in the smelter. Would that bar also count for mandates?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:46 am »

A lazy hauler who liked adamantine was always selected as my mayor. I did have HFS available but I be damned if I make anything before the smith is legendary

I like to think it was appropriate to make him go pull a lever that collapsed his platform into the depths. All the adamantine he could possibly want down there
Pages: 1 [2]