Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are oceanside murky pools salty?  (Read 568 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Are oceanside murky pools salty?
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:08:36 pm »

I started a fort on an island, confident that the dwarves could survive a few seasons drinking water. And a bit later everyone was thirsty, and a bit later dehydrated, and then I got a message that the fort had crumbled to its end. I expected the sea and the aquifer to be salty, but the murky pool water comes from rain. Am I doing something wrong, or can pools be saltwater? Also, would a request to change that belong to the suggestions or bug reports, and has it been made before?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are oceanside murky pools salty?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »

At the moment, all water on maps that have saltwater is salty. I understand there are some tricks with wells and constructed reservoirs that you can do that will help, but I don't know much about them.

Honestly, the easiest way around this is brewing. You'll need lots of barrels, but it's well worth it.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:42:53 pm »

If you pump water, it becomes fresh water. So I just dig a wide channel from the ocean to my fortress, stick some pumps at the end of the channel, and build some walls around them. Easy fresh water resevoir.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »

You also have to make sure that after the water gets pumped, it never touches a natural wall - you have to make your reservoir out of all constructed walls and floors.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus