Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting Rid of socks and gloves  (Read 1787 times)

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
Getting Rid of socks and gloves
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:32:50 pm »

How do you do this?  I tried going into the raw folder and deleting all the text below
OBJECT:ITEM
but the game just started crashing on Embark.
I'm getting tired of having goblin raids close down my fortress for a season while all my dwarfs go out to haul narrow socks....
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Rid of socks and gloves
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »

Methinks modding the game isn't really the best solution for this. You could just forbid the goblins' items after they're killed instead. That'll keep your dwarves from going out to haul them all.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:42:15 pm »

Thats a good point, but it's just so...messy.  MY dwarves have enough to put up with, what with all the blood, vomit, and miasma, without being forced to walk past moldering goblin socks on their way to be eaten by the carp. ;)
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:35 pm »

You need to clear the offending clothes from the entity raws too. Otherwise you have them trying to wear things which have no information, crashing the game. Your goblins are trying to wear phantom socks.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

Aha.  Thanks, seems to be working now.
On a side note, is there a way to increase the number of magma spaces in a world?  I tried increasing the vulcanism setting in world gen, but it didnt seem to have a noticable effect....
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:45:33 pm »

Of course, socks and gloves aren't the only issues...

I can see the mod now. "Nudist Fortress". :P
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:18:35 am »

Hey now.  Thats a pretty slippery slope.  its kinda like saying that silver bullets lead to the devil, just like marijuana leads to heroin. 

Anyone catch the quote?  My favorite musician.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:38:38 pm »

its kinda like saying that silver bullets lead to the devil

Yeah in a straight line, directly from the gun that fired them.  :P

No, sorry. Didn't get the reference.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 04:21:04 pm »

On a side note, is there a way to increase the number of magma spaces in a world?  I tried increasing the vulcanism setting in world gen, but it didnt seem to have a noticable effect....

Somewhere in the advanced parameters, you'll see a "Minimum volcanism" and "Maximum volcanism" right next to each other. Set both of those to 100. Now go through the parameters, and set all other parameters involving minimum volcanism to 0, else you'll get infinite rejects (you can do this quickly with the "n" button). This should make a vast amount of your world have magma tiles of some sort.

Keep in mind that, in addition to magma features, volcanism also affects several other things, most notably rock content. If you set the volcanism to maximum, you won't see a lot of non-volcanic rock, if any. A common complaint resulting from this is the complete lack of Bauxite, an extremely important resource for large projects involving (ironically) magma, as Bauxite is the only material you can make magma-proof mechanisms out of.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:25 pm »

Somewhere in the advanced parameters, you'll see a "Minimum volcanism" and "Maximum volcanism" right next to each other. Set both of those to 100. Now go through the parameters, and set all other parameters involving minimum volcanism to 0, else you'll get infinite rejects (you can do this quickly with the "n" button). This should make a vast amount of your world have magma tiles of some sort.

Keep in mind that, in addition to magma features, volcanism also affects several other things, most notably rock content. If you set the volcanism to maximum, you won't see a lot of non-volcanic rock, if any. A common complaint resulting from this is the complete lack of Bauxite, an extremely important resource for large projects involving (ironically) magma, as Bauxite is the only material you can make magma-proof mechanisms out of.

You can circumvent this by opening up "matgloss_stone_mineral.txt" (back it up before saving) finding bauxite and adding [IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE] to the bottom. This will make it so that bauxite will randomly show up in volcanic areas as a layer. You may want to add vein and cluster tags to other things so that the bauxite layers aren't featureless and boring. (Minus the rubies and sapphires.)
Then generate a new world to play with this new parameter.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 09:17:29 pm »

Remember though, if you add or take away any entire thing, not just editing, you need to create a new world.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

The Better Goblin mod already takes care of the goblin issue. Now you to can get goblins that drop only armor! Of course then you get insanely powerful goblins such as the Ender goblin, but, well, that's the price you pay.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 07:10:08 pm »

I always modify my world so that nothing wears clothes. They're just too 'messy' right now. So much hassle sorting out all the junk.

They still get leather armor and such, just not clothing.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 08:23:31 pm »

The Better Goblin mod already takes care of the goblin issue. Now you to can get goblins that drop only armor! Of course then you get insanely powerful goblins such as the Ender goblin, but, well, that's the price you pay.

Imagine getting an ender goblin caravan. T'would be most amusing.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 12:56:37 am »

Ah, yeah.  I get it.  Vulcanism works...sorta.  I keep getting 1000 map rejects and an error message appearing when I go above a vulcanism of 25 tho.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!