Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oops...  (Read 1087 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oops...
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:40:27 pm »

Hello,
 So I've dug out an entire man made chasm that goes down through 21 z levels of rock, with my fortress based around the chasm. The bottom 4 levels of the Chasm are mostly green glass " dwarven terrariums ". I have a river running overhead that i'm planning to flood those 4 levels with. My first attempt to do this has somewhat failed. The puncturing of the river bed worked as planned.. unfortunately the dwarf I ordered to deconstruct decided that it would be a good time to fall into the river and pass out. Needless to say, he was sucked down the hole and fell 21 Z levels to a very messy death, splattered on my beautiful green glass windows.

I'm now attempting to think of a way to avoid this, but to no avail. Any ideas for opening more holes in the river bed without severe cost to dwarven life? Normally I wouldn't care, as I have plenty of useless milkers and cheese makers however upon ignoring them for 5 years and having them congregate in the main hall they are best friends with just about everybody in the fortress ( Also can't control who goes to deconstruct, the one that died was a non mood Legendary Weaver/Clothier/Leatherworker. Ouch. ) Any ideas would be wonderful.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oops...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:49:28 pm »

I"m not sure about deconstructing but this is how I usually handle rivers

_ = mined out space
X = wall
~ = river

level zero

XXXXX~~~X
_____X~~~X
_____X~~~X
_____X~~~X
XXXXX~~~X

and then you channel out the wall from above
level one

GGGGG~~~G
GGGG_~~~G
GGGG_~~~G
GGGG_~~~G
GGGGG~~~G
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:51:23 pm by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:53:45 pm »

Hrm, perhaps I didn't explain it quite thoroughly enough. I have a river above a 21 z level hole in the ground. I want to punch a hole through the bottom of the already existing river without losing dwarves, and without having to use pumps to pump out the water and dig a hole. Is there any easy way to do that? =P

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:59:18 pm »

construct a drain channal with a upstair at the same z level the water is. it wont be pressurized so the dwarf shuld be able to run to the ladder and the water wont flow up

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:48:37 pm »

Build a stairs ladder to the point you want to drill a hole, and then dig an down stairwell above you.  The dwarf should move out of the way (to a piece of floor or another stairwell NOT underneath the water)   before the water rushes down and kills him.

Funnily enough, if you use peasent labor for the task, they're too slow, and get killed.  But if you use a legendary miner, his chance of survival is MUCH higher, but then you may lose a Legendary dwarf if it doesn't work (which always sucks)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »

If I remember right, cave-ins punch through floors. So you could MAYBE build a small construction above the river, and drop a constructed wall through the middle of the river bed. Make sure that you have a wide area dug out on the z-level directly underneath the river, first.

The safest way to do it is something like this:

Code: [Select]
     X
 ____I
/
   ~~~~~

In this side view, the X is a wall, the I is a support (with a floor beneath it), the _ and / are floors and a stair/ramp, and the ~s are the river. It's a simple drawing, but you get the picture; drop a wall tile into the river via a lever-controlled support, the wall tile will fall to the river and poke a hole in it if there's no hole beneath.

It might not work, though, but if it does, it's the only way I can think of that can't possibly involve a drowning dwarf if you ensure there's no dwarf on the structure when you kill the support. Try it and see.

Oh, one last thing I forgot: be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the place you're smashing through the riverbed isn't above a constructed area far below in the chasm, or that will die too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:59:52 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Nathiuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »

Good idea, Unintelligent.

However, he has glass floors 21 z-levels down, will they get messed up also?

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:53 pm »

Yeah, I had been using the construction, building out a 3 tile wide bridge and deconstructing the first tile to create a cave in and the resulting hole. I honestly didn't think of using a support for it... It seems a little time consuming but may work out. Thanks for the input.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

However, he has glass floors 21 z-levels down, will they get messed up also?

They will, but if he replaces them with glass walls 22 z-levels down, those will survive.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 03:22:29 am »

Yes i know that they punch holes when they fall. Once i had a cave in happen out of dwarven were stupidity, and it punched a whole through to my tomb. My  dead were flooded.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.