Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [noob question] Tileset and Mac version  (Read 616 times)

Paolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[noob question] Tileset and Mac version
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:36:29 am »

Hi everyone,

first of all I apologize if the following question has been made and answered already. I tried searching but with no luck.

Anyway, here is my issue. I found extremely appealing the May Green tileset for DF (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/df.htm), and, given the fact that I am running a Mac laptop, I wanted to use this tileset there too.

With other tilesets, I was able to add them to the mac version by just replacing the data / raw folders from the out-of-the box version and keeping the original index file, but with the mayday tileset this didn't work.

Is there anyone that knows how to do this or point me to some resource explaining how to perform this operation?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: [noob question] Tileset and Mac version
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:27:37 pm »

I seem to recall another thread with this info about migrating mayday to 40c which has the info you want.

Basically, I just copy the art folder, and the init.txt file to the appropriate spots. That gets most of it.

How do you find your framerate compares to running in parallels/bootcamp (if you do)?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Paolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [noob question] Tileset and Mac version
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:10:24 am »

Hi Quatch,

thanks for the reply  :) Later on yesterday night I managed to make it work. The main problem on my Macbook was that the game reported "Cannot create OpenGL windows" and died. To solve this, I had to switch back to windowed mode and fix the init file accordingly (after of course copying the data files from the mayday repackaging).

Performance wise, I am getting mixed results. On my 2ghz CoreDuo + 2Gb ram, the game is a bit laggy. Using the windows binary with Crossover is better in terms of performances, and Vmware is right there too. No Bootcamp here so I cannot comment on that. However, the real issue to me is DF on Mac or on Crossover makes the temp of the processor jump up to 80° Celsius (according to my smcFanControl) which is not that good.

I wonder what DF compilation flags over the mac are... ???