Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Interface  (Read 521 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Migrant Interface
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:19:05 am »

Did my duty, performed a search, got no results, so here we go!

I find processing migrants tiresome. I bet many others do. You have to go into view mode, adjust preferences, unpause, wait till the next one wanders onto your map proper, and repeat until it seems everyone is squared away.

This is not fruitful, and it takes precious time away from micromanagement, especially in early years. My suggestion?

When migrants arrive, receive a notification similar to a liaison visit, or a siege, rather than simply centering on the first migrant and pausing. Then it moves into a new screen, wherein the dwarfs are listed. Highlighting a dwarf, displays it's skills. Skills had could be displayed in a brighter color if they are already active in their preferences, and, until the screen is aborted, could be adjusted to the players liking there.

I think this could make the migrant processing faster, easier, and less time intensive. Thoughts?

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Interface
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:16 am »

You have just described the Dwarf Therapist.

Download it and enjoy. :-)

Otherwise, I'm all for inclusion of DT interface into the game.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:21:41 pm »

Oh...
I forgot it also listed dwarves by migration wave. *facepalm*

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:00:02 am »

First wave, all farmers.

Second wave, all stone detailers/masons.

And the fort is covered after that.  Well, in my case I manage to get 10 migrants on the third wave :P.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:43:48 pm »

Runesmith has an option to remove an entity from the game without death. I'm sure someone can create an App that keeps watch for migrants and "nicely removes" them if they do not have particular skills/attributes/genders/castes. DFhack/DFusion coders might also be good targets for your pleas :D