Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with flooding (help!)  (Read 693 times)

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with flooding (help!)
« on: December 30, 2008, 01:14:26 pm »

I'm still getting the hang of DF (I can barely deal with a fort of 30-50 dwarfs, and they're all really small compared to the maps I see posted) and I think I made a pretty noob mistake:

I managed to dig out a section ground going from a cliff face to a river.  it's 3 tiles wide, and I have no flood control before I dug the last 3x1 section.  I tried placing doors, floodgates, etc but I can't because (obviously) there's water there.  I also tried building stuff above it and collapsing it to try and block the flow, but this obviously didn't work.  Is there any way to stop the flood, as water pouring down 5-6 z-levels of cliff and spreading out on the floor is really chewing on my FPS?

Thanks!

-Riv

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with flooding (help!)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:22:09 pm »

find an area where the flood will spread to and wall that off.
OR you could try damming up the river upstream from your breach, that'll be a big project, but should work.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:50:24 pm »

oh its been running for a good year or so.  so its spread out to its max size (down the cliff and a large pool of 1/7 at the bottom).  Its a brook, so I can't use the stream itself to power anything... maybe I could use the channel i dug to power pumps?  Course that kinda defeats the purpos, given i want to stop the flood, but I'd be ok with sealing the breech at the end of the channel.  How do I go about pumping out a 3x? channel of water?  Aka number of pumps and placement?  The brook flows vertical, the channel is horizontal, the cliffs down are about 15 or 20 tiles from the brook...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:01:26 pm »

If you channel the surface of the brook, water wheels should work, and i think you'll have to channel it out to dam it up anyway, just be carefull about cave-ins.

As for number of pumps? a bunch, i think 3 on each side will work, depends on how wide the brook is. and don't forget to do something with the water you're pumping out!
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »

Either that or use windmills to power the pumps, I suggest the tower design as it leaves no real marks on the map.

What you want to do is have say 3 pumps either side of the brook (might be too many) them pump the water into a walled of area, then use raised drawbridges as walls to get the water off the edge of the map, I tend to do this as close to the edge of the map as possible so the drawbridges don't have to go far. You'll have to use levers to raise the drawbridges and perhaps one to stop the pumps running too.

I'll give an example of my setup.

Code: [Select]
  *==*~~~~
     |~~~~  < Wind farm
     |~~~~
  *==*~~~~
     |~~~~
#####*====*#####
#   %%~~~~%%   #
#   %%~~~~%%   #
#   %%~~~~%%   #
[   [ ~~~~ [   [
[   [ ~~~~ [   [
[   [ ~~~~ [   [
[   [ ~~~~ [   [
[   [ ~~~~ [   [
Edge of the map & source of water flow.

~ Brook
# Wall
= | Horizontal Axle
* Gear Assembly
%% Screwpump
[ Drawbridge

That's how I did it last time anyway.

When it comes to placing floodgates on the bottom of the brook you will need to channel the surface above where you want to place them, the pumps should make the water shallow enough to place them, once placed the river should run dry, then you can link them up to a lever and stop the flow whenever you need.

Now you can fix your accident down stream :).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:34:13 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands