Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm Plot Question  (Read 1508 times)

ehertlein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm Plot Question
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:22:09 pm »

I have a room I dug into clay as a farm. Its a large 8x8 section, when it dug the final two spaces I noticed they were stone. I am not terribly interested is HUGE projects to get those floors muddy. Is there a way I can haul some water there to make them so? I learned that designating them as pond doesn't accomplish the task as there needs to be a channel or hole for that.

If not, I guess I can live with the missing farm space.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Farm Plot Question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:28:50 pm »

I have a room I dug into clay as a farm. Its a large 8x8 section, when it dug the final two spaces I noticed they were stone. I am not terribly interested is HUGE projects to get those floors muddy. Is there a way I can haul some water there to make them so? I learned that designating them as pond doesn't accomplish the task as there needs to be a channel or hole for that.

Dig a channel in the ceiling above it and designate a pond there.  One or two buckets of water will probably be enough to muddy a few tiles.  Note that this probably won't help with subterranean crop farms if it's on the level just below the surface.  Once a tile has light on it, it's forever lit.  (Even if you floor over the hole in the ceiling.)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:43:46 pm »

Dig a channel in the ceiling above it and designate a pond there.  One or two buckets of water will probably be enough to muddy a few tiles.  Note that this probably won't help with subterranean crop farms if it's on the level just below the surface.  Once a tile has light on it, it's forever lit.  (Even if you floor over the hole in the ceiling.)

That will probably be fixed when the lighting arc is introduced.

ehertlein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:19:05 pm »

I guess I'll just leave them as rocky for now. Seems silly that I can't get a dwarf to dump some water on the floor. :)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:20:04 pm »

8x8 is pretty big.  2 missing tiles won't really hurt food production that much when you're that big.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:00:56 am »

If you dig it 2 z levels deep, you can build a staircase in the middle and floors to all directions to drop the water from

Only 1 tile wasted in the middle, put a statue in it or something

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:21:45 am »

I'd just assign those two squares as a seed stockpile to save a bit of haulage.  [shrug]

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

ehertlein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 11:17:28 am »

Thats not a bad idea at all. Shame that I can't designate the whole room as a farm and have it simply ignore those two squares. I seem to have to designate all around those 2 spots.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »

You can position the plot over the existing tiles, it'll just ignore them and automatically cut them out of the designated area.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

ehertlein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:24 pm »

Ahhh... wonderful. Glad I posted here. I learned a lot. :)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »

If you're willing to cheat, you can use my For Each Tile module that works with the Tweak utility.  You can place water (among other things, such as magma, blood, and pus) on any open tile, or even just directly mark the tile as muddy without bothering with water at all.  But like I said, it's clearly cheating, and I know that many prefer to avoid it.  In some cases, though, I can justify it to myself.  For example, like you said, a dwarf should be able to fill a bucket with water and dump it on the ground.  But since they can't, a little cheating can't hurt that much.  Your perception may vary.