Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ahhh....The Love life  (Read 1299 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Ahhh....The Love life
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:39 pm »

So, I have a question about how long it takes for romantically involved partners to settle down and make more of themselves. I've had a romantically involved pair together (My leader dwarf, surprisingly, and a miner) since almost day 1. I've been running this fort for about year, so I'm beginning to wonder.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ahhh....The Love life
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:17:33 pm »

Mine usually take a year or two. I imagine it varies though. The more free time you give them the faster it will (probably) go.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »

I suppose so, but you know how it is with beginning forts. Not enough dwarves and a job list that's a foot long.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:28:20 pm »

I'm sure they won't mind making sacrifices for the good of the fortress. And if they do, you can detail the...alternatives...to them.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:33:58 pm »

Yeah, that's what it seems like.  Here's something I tried, and it seemed to work - I ended up on embark with my two best miners (one also happened to be the leader) being male and female, so I sort of wanted them to hook up.  So when I built the leader's required quarters, I then proceeded to build the other miner's quarters in a room that can only be accessed by going through the leader's bedroom.  Another possibility would be to have the bedrooms next to each other with no separating wall - which I didn't think of till after the fact.  Either way, they're much more likely to find themselves next to each other when on break.
In any case, they ended up as lover's by the end of the first year.

Though, beyond that they seem to be taking their time.  A couple months after they hooked up, another pair became romantically engaged.  It's year two now and the second couple is already married.  Don't know what this means - either the miners' relationship is getting strained, or the second couple moved too fast.  There's no way to know.

I'd really like to see my leader produce an heir.  I've always wanted to play out a blood-line monarchy. (is it possible? I want to believe it's possible)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:58:55 pm »

I suppose it could be possible if the leader had a son with the traits of his father and became of a leader by hierarchy. But, as the game progressed, higher level nobles would appear, so he would be regulated to Mayor at best. I have also noticed that two other pairs have become romantically involved(Immigrants of course).

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:10:30 am »

Yeah, I guess it's currently not entirely possible in this build.  The whole concept of nobility only happening through immigration seems like a temporary workaround until some method of emergent hierarchy can be implemented.

Ah, but when that gets figured out, this game will enter awesome land. :D

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:19:27 am »

A couple of forts ago I had two of my founding dwarves become "lovers".  At the time I thought they would be the fort's first married couple.  Fourteen years later however and they were still "lovers"...  (I abandoned that game when the latest version came out and they never did get married.)

I kept a rather close eye on both of them throughout that game.  One thing I noticed is that when one hosted a party, the other wouldn't attend, which I thought was odd.  Another thing I noticed was that the two lovers worshipped different deities.

I tried a few things to move the romance along (like having them share the same bedroom and turning off their jobs), but they just wouldn't tie the knot.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:19 pm »

I always rather liked Medieval: Total War's monarchy system with inheritable traits.  Unfortunately, my inability to concentrate on micromanagement always meant that my kings had traits like "Talks to animals", "Dribbles constantly", and "Shameless pederast".

"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 04:17:12 pm »

I always rather liked Medieval: Total War's monarchy system with inheritable traits.  Unfortunately, my inability to concentrate on micromanagement always meant that my kings had traits like "Talks to animals", "Dribbles constantly", and "Shameless pederast".

"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."

In the very first Medieval: Total War you could move one of your princess units over your king unit, and it would ask if you're sure you want to marry them together. Then your king would get the "secretly incestous" trait and, if an enemy spy happened to reveal the secret, an "openly incestous" trait that would make your subjects take a huge happiness hit. It was pretty funny.

Also, in the newer ones you can send assassins against an enemy general; at first he gets paranoid and more suspicious, and gets bonuses against assassins and spies.. and if you just keep sending them the general grows more and more insane until he's just a babbling idiot. Then any future children of the general will also be insane and you can ruin their royal family for generations. :D