Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Foreman config needed for <<insert latest version>>  (Read 1628 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Foreman config needed for <<insert latest version>>
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:43:47 pm »

Normally, I wouldn't dare post a new thread asking for an update to <<X external utility>> for the latest Dwarf Fortress version (0.28.181.39f as of the moment).  The fact that I have already read requests for an updated Dwarf Foreman config in three different threads (two on this site, one on Something Awful) doesn't change that.

What may make it worthwhile is this question:  How, in the name of shiny gold, does an ordinary user go about getting the information he needs to update the Dwarf Foreman config file without having to wait for someone else to provide the info?  My new fortress is getting to the point that I [edit] "be needin' me Foreman fix".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:55:55 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Foreman config needed for <<insert latest version>>
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 03:52:13 pm »

I too am in need of the newest Foreman config.

I know that it is possible to find the memory addresses that apply to the program, but I don't know how to find them.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:31:23 pm »

Right, I would be interested as well. I know we're looking for the start locations in memory of some data structures. I suppose the way to go is to use a debug tool that has some search utility, attach to DF process, and search for some specific string to find the general location of each structure.
Then, I suppose you need some knowledge of how memory is organized in a c++ object/struct to pinpoint the exact address of this object's start. Which you then paste into memory.ini.

Some tutorial would be useful so that those of us who have at least a basic structure of assembly and memory structures can help finding this information.

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »

Yeah, I tried looking through the memory address, but since I'm not sure what I'm looking FOR, it was pretty useless.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:04:54 am »

Yeah, I tried looking through the memory address, but since I'm not sure what I'm looking FOR, it was pretty useless.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Talk:Utilities#Dwarf_Foreman

Apparently has the stuff you need to find in order to update...and the program gives you one of them when you run it in the wrong version?  I don't know how to look for these memory addresses, though :P.

SWSaunders

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:04:12 am »

No movement on this?

Aorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:19 am »

I took a look at this, and i can update one of the memory addresses, unfortunately no luck with the others, still its a step forward
critter_start=01575DEC
and that can be found here, http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/tables/dwarvis/
choose the version number xml and look for this entry
<address name="creature_vector" value="0x01575DEC"/>
so critter start is the same as creature vector, but jifodus doesn't seem to have the other values in that list, i will ask him if he can try and find them

Aorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:51:28 am »

Hah!, i just figured out how to use jifodus's memory address finder, this means i should be able to update tweak and foreman as well, and i should be able to do it fairly quickly, hmm i may release the finder utility to but i don't know, its possible that should toady make a significant enough change to the program the finder will cease to work

Edit: Opps lol heres the new config

check=036276be
critter_start=01575dec
dwarfidpos=01382690
profession_start=0474

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:10:29 am »

Cool, now I get to see how this program works! And yep, there it put all my default profession people in parens and my custom "Sealeader" seperate. Thank dogs. Going through your units is NOT one of the current interface's strong points. (Building a watchtower, if I can manage it, up out of the surface of the water from below. First hint: Don't choose your down-tunnel location before unpausing the game and looking at the surf. Also, don't park the wagon in the surf. O_o)

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:19:03 pm »

Hah!, i just figured out how to use jifodus's memory address finder, this means i should be able to update tweak and foreman as well, and i should be able to do it fairly quickly, hmm i may release the finder utility to but i don't know, its possible that should toady make a significant enough change to the program the finder will cease to work

check=036276be
critter_start=01575dec
dwarfidpos=01382690
profession_start=0474

You are my hero!  Thanks.  :)

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:24:29 pm »

check=036276be
critter_start=01575dec
dwarfidpos=01382690
profession_start=0474

Well done sir!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 09:51:47 pm »

Wow. I needed this to make my Dungeon Master not use his dabbling metalworking skills when I had better dwarves, but I really see how people could like this. But going through my almost 100 dwarves and assigning custom profession names would be too much work, so I'll have to try to make my next fortress by using this.

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 10:19:30 pm »

Yeah, it kinda is a pain to re-config a large fortress using this. You want to start assigning custom job names from the outset.

By the way, assigning something like 'SmitherA' and SmitherB' allows you to split your force so you can migrate half of them to, say, item hauling or whatever and leave the other half still working on smithing, so as to not TOTALLY halt production. For a small fort it doesn't matter so much, but with larger numbers the flexibility is nice.

The Dark Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 11:39:46 am »

Proving again that there is a difference between 'simple' and 'easy' when talking about programming tasks, I've found myself unable to get the proper values for 40a.  Anyone else have any luck?

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 01:32:31 pm »

It's on the wiki now.