Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I once heard story...  (Read 1198 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
I once heard story...
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:19:22 pm »

...about a kitten with 'water' coverings all over its body surviving  after being dumped in a magma vent. I believe it was in bug reports somewhere. Anyways, I remembered reading it, and it gave me an awesome idea: If I armor my dwarves and then bathe them in a 'shower', will they be able to go magma-diving unscathed?

Think of the possibilities! Magma-flooded fortresses could be reclaimed! Dwarves could do battle with the Fire Imps on their own terms!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:28:32 pm by Impending Doom »
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I once heard story...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »

Even if that did work, I doubt it would be very reliable.

Not to mention the constant "dangerous terrain" spam you would get.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:21:24 pm »

...about a kitten with 'water' coverings all over its body surviving  after being dumped in a magma vent. I believe it was in bug reports somewhere. Anyways, I remembered reading it, and it gave me an awesome idea: If I armor my dwarves and then bathe them in a 'shower', will they be able to go magma-diving unscathed?

Think of the possibilities! Magma-flooded fortresses could be reclaimed! Dwarves could do battle with the Fire Imps on their own terms!

Someone could have just been playing with temperature off you know.

With temperature off magma is basically scary looking water that doesn't flow up.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:01:03 pm »

No, I'm relatively sure that someone asked the person about that, and they said it was turned on. Would anyone happen to have a link to that particular thread?
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:17:41 pm »

This has to be it:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=7705.0

Looks like it was a one time thing.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:33:56 pm »

That's the one. I never saw the later post by Toady. Ah well, it was worth a shot...

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:33 am »

had a dwarf take a firebreath in the face and not get burniated, yes he also had water covering. (the two other dwarves behind him did get roasted however...)
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 04:26:20 am »

Did he have a shield? probably blocked the fire
Magma is overrated.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:31 am »

had a dwarf take a firebreath in the face and not get burniated, yes he also had water covering. (the two other dwarves behind him did get roasted however...)

Actually, now when i think about it, my dabbling in everything peasant took on a firebreath (or whatever an imp shoots when close, not the fireball i think) right in the face and had exactly no damage at all, and i'm pretty sure all my dwarves are covered with water about all the time. (caused by a "strategic" brook, or just lots and lots of rain, dunno)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.