Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons and Ammo Revision  (Read 536 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Weapons and Ammo Revision
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:37:15 am »

There are four new weapons, and I've tweaked the base damage and damage class on a few more to balance out the new ones. Some of you might recognise the 'spearbow' from a much earlier thread on the same topic, a workaround to make marksdwarves a bit less vulnerable until the game code can handle troops carrying weapons of more than one type.
One-handed swords have been divided into shortswords and arming swords, which do piercing and slashing damage respectively. The scimitar's still around, but it's heavier and has a better crit-boost, and spears have had a minor damage buff over the revised shortsword.
Notice a few extra things with the [CAN_STONE] tag. The effect on game balance should be fairly minimal, since you'll have no trouble forging anything you need anyway if you're embarking on a site with magma.
War hammers have received a minor damage buff over maces, in exchange for an equally small weight penalty, just because I thought having two weapons completely identical in all but which skill they trained seemed a bit silly.
There are two more new weapons. The glaive is meant to bridge the gap between the battle-axe and the 'Great Axe', which will now appear as a 'large glaive', and add a two-handed weapon to the dwarven/goblin arsenals. The 'dwarfpike' is an experiment, and will probably only work properly in adventure mode at this point.
Lastly, note the change made to daggers; thieves are a lot more dangerous now.

So, moving on...
I don't know how well-known this is, but it seems you can have up to three types of ammunition per class; I found out about this by accident whilst trying to add a ludicrously overpowered weapon based on the Piecemaker from the Discworld novels. (It seems the bolt/arrow/blowdart trinity is hard-coded to be all you get as of .40d, but I digress.) Blunt-tipped bolts or arrows would probably sort of work in real life -apologies for that atrocious pun by the way- but I'm not convinced giant throwing stars are equally feasible; I got the idea from Perdido Street Station of all places. Still, they're pretty cool.
Notice also that blowdarts are now considerably more dangerous, enough to do an unprotected dwarf some harm.

And finally:
Spoiler: new shield (click to show/hide)
Well, I could hardly turn the shortsword into a gladius without adding the shield to go with it, could I?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!