Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves specifically requesting "unethical" items?  (Read 957 times)

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves specifically requesting "unethical" items?
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:20:47 pm »

A bunch of elves came to Girderpassed today and offered to trade large quantities of cloth. As it happens I had need of cloth, and also had need of getting rid of large quanties of low grade trade goods, so I let them in and started the trading.

I made them an offer - a good one, I note - and they made a counteroffer: they want me to throw in a (pig tail left glove), a *diorite scepter*, and... a turtle shell amulet.

Does this mean that, if I actually offer them this trade, they will accept it? Or are they just trying to give me an excuse to kill them all and use them as fertilizer?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Elves specifically requesting "unethical" items?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »

I saw this in the bug reports a while back... Toady said it shouldn't happen normally, though. Have you modded the game in any way, specifically the elves' ethics?

In any case, they should take the unusual request without a problem.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:47:07 pm »

Nope, not modded at all. I'm not even using a custom tileset or anything.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:54 pm »

Eh, must be a bug, then.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 01:32:12 am »

Maybe they wanted to bury it.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 03:37:46 am »

I got sort of a reversal...I think.  Not sure if this counts, because I don't know exactly where elves draw the line on this sort of thing, but anyway - I was kinda dumb on embark and didn't bring any axes, ao when the first trade liaison came by I suggested that wood of all types be the highest priority good.

Well, the next time I saw elf traders, guess what they had?  Tons and tons of wood.

...What?

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 04:40:32 am »

I thought that in the latest version the elves only refuse to accept items made with wood; things like Turtle Shell Crowns, Elk Meat Roasts, and bloody Cave Spider Silk Socks, were okay now.

Well, the next time I saw elf traders, guess what they had?  Tons and tons of wood.

Elves harvest wood "ethically" or whatever.  They don't mind trading away wood and wood-made items like cages, but they won't accept them in return (not even if you try to trade them the items that they traded to you earlier).

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:23:44 am »

For what it's worth, I had the elves request a leather item from my dwarves. I didn't give it to them, because I suspected a trap.

And I've heard that these things are OK to trade to dwarves now, but I haven't actually tried it. Can anyone confirm that?

Bill

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:36:49 pm »

Dwarves will take anything you give them. They always have.