Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF glossaries  (Read 1134 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF glossaries
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:37:18 pm »

I'm sort of a linguistics nerd, as a preface

I was wondering if anybody has ever compiled lists of words (name components) in DF and what they mean. Not just for the dwarven language but (I guess you can just use the list under Name Your Fortress for that, although it's not alphabetized) but also for the goblin, human, elf and kobold languages. I'd be kind of interested in a coherent, searchable database.

Also, all the languages seem to be structured basically the same, although we dont exactly have much grammar to examine - "the x of y" and so on is the most complex it gets beyond just simple compounding of random words, and all the languages seem to be devoid of any function words. Since I'm a linguistics nerd like I said this kind of of disappoints me although creating Tolkien-esque full languages for each race is obviously not something I'd expect Toady to do. But I'd be happy if he would throw in something like that for people like me.

Anyway talk about the word list idea.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF glossaries
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:46:48 pm »

Um.

They're in the raws. A complete list. The whole thing. For every language.

People modify them sometimes.

From your DF install folder, /raw/objects/language_(racename), language_words, language_sym...

They're pretty nifty, I'll admit. Here's an interesting topic somewhat related to this one.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:47:28 pm »

Whoa holy shit that's awesome

Link is broken tho :\
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:38:10 pm »

Try this.  He added url="http://address" <-- the quotes there are unneeded (also, there was an extra http://).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:29:30 am »

I'm working on a script to generate languages for new races, which is kinda fun. Only really useful for mods, of course, but it's made me realize just how much work Today did on the languages.  There are over 2000 words for each race.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One