Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Pitchblende? hmm, a dwarven manhatten project sounds fun  (Read 6161 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pitchblende? hmm, a dwarven manhatten project sounds fun
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 10:23:37 am »

Uranium wasn't even known as an element until two centuries ago, dwarves, like humans of the time, probably don't realize Pitchblende is an actual metal ore.

Actually, the "blende" part of the name means the one who named it so knew it was a metal ore, but couldn't get the metal out.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:39 pm »

well, the first elf caravan had sun berries- once i get a bit further along, and build a walled garden, ill start up the sunshine factory. that should give me some very nice BANG from the stills. also got a tame deer(male), but couldnt afford the bear. a shortage of bins made a few trades kind of weak. got my nickle bars though, so the magma forge, smelter, and glassworks are all up and working.

as soon as i got migrants, a clothier went insane because he wanted cloth thread, and there wasnt any. melancholy killed him, and next a mason made a legendary obsidian coffin, which is an engraving in my dining hall already. and a metal worker made a legendary iron idol.

no humans yet, but my microline trading post is accessible (with some ovaline roads, so vomit wont be visible when it kicks in). is the kill count new? its a fun feature to track the kobold-slaying olympics.

as usual, all miners start on the NW-most area first, so their all digging near the magma forges for now- and digging out some storage space near the magma found some veins of iron to smelt, so hurrah. at the current speed my dwarves are moving (its a larger area after all), its going to be a while before i can get anywhere near the pichblende. but ill need a military before i try anyway, considering how many gremlins and other nasties are in that chasm. i have spotted it in a couple different spots however.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 09:15:44 pm »

Unfortunately, refining Pitchblende into Uranium metal isn't a easy as simply smelting it.

Dwarves violate the laws of physics all the time, they don't give a damn about whether it's possible to smelt it or not. =D
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Innocuous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 04:12:42 pm »

I know this is an old thread and an extremely old link, but:

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

I could imagine dwarves tinkering around with things they don't fully understand. One more thing to kill everyone in the fortress sounds at least like a fun time.

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 12:59:33 pm »

Don't forget that the area where the bomb detonated should be tainted for a year or so afterwards. Small amounts of heat damage to whoever walks into the "dead zone" should suffice.

Also, my opinion of Deathworks... (s)he's a "character". A person trying to stand out from the forum's crowd by having a gimmick. Mohib Al Yassir's broken English is funnier, anyways.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 06:20:24 pm »

hmm, the masterwork *Pitchblende Crown* is nice, sitting there in the general store for $120

its interesting, how things are developing, i have enough pitchblende around in the granite, sometimes near the native silver. but once i mine it, my stonecrafters go to work on it (yeah, i put that stockpile too close to em i guess). cant do much else with it sadly, but im pondering sending a 'gift' to the elves, of radioactive shinies :) aside from that... a pitchblende drawbridge of DOOM may work well. those things are natural atomizers right? now, the real question is what lead/pitchblende ratio will give me the best control? hmm....

two resident gremlins in the chasm have been named 'lawboat' and 'pageshades' (from whence i have captured my very first live purring maggot), but the naked mole dogs are all dead, nothing left but bones. The giant bat pups grow in number, and i can hear the cave crocodile breeding like map in the hidden depths. Obviously, the moles died from Chasm Radiation, which has mutated the bats.... and given the gremlins bizare psionic powers! and the crocs... well, i hope its not too lovecraftian.

What gets me though? i have an artifact obsidion mechanism, "the Enjoyment of Gallows"... and an image of it is upon the Hammerer's weapon of choice. now, i have great plans for that mechanism... once i have some trap components worthy of its might. like say a pitchblende atomizer....

Pages: 1 2 [3]