Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: useless immigrants = trainees  (Read 1217 times)

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
useless immigrants = trainees
« on: August 16, 2008, 03:20:24 pm »

Okay on my last couple fortresses ive been using the following system to train up the more useless dwarves that show up.

Whenever an immigration wave hits i go check out every dwarf & any peasants, soap makers, or other useless dwarves immediately get a custom profession name "Trainee"

I then use my army of trainees in conjunction with dwarf foreman to smooth walls, haul rocks, & whatnot.  Occasionally I check up on them & anyone whose developed a good degree of toughness or strength is then transferred either to the army or to whatever jobs needed at the time.

The result is that in pretty short order almost all the dwarves in my 100+ fortress are strong, tough, or otherwise talented. Its been working pretty well for me. The only problem is when i run out of walls to smooth, i dont want them engraving, not until theyre master engravers anyway. So i guess im going to have to setup some pumps for them to work out on.

It does take a lot of micro-management, but i think the payoff is worth it.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: useless immigrants = trainees
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:49:31 pm »

I set mine up on catapults on the levels where my miners are exploratory mining.  PLEANTY of stone for them to shoot.

And then I have legendary Seige operators for my Balista, and I built a giant tower with catapult batteries as well, for seiges.

Although I've never tested out whether you can hit gobbos 2+ Z levels beneath your catapult.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:38:40 pm »

You can't, actually.  Siege engines only fire at enemies on the z-level they're on.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »

All my new Cheesemakers/Threshers/Peasants/Other-non-artifact-producing-skills get Dabbling Armosmith or Weaponsmith and then are set on hauling jobs only. You can never get enough artifact armor and weapons  8) This also means that new immigrants with artifact-producing skills other than mentioned smiths are not welcome in my fortress
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:20:45 pm »

I try doing the same thing as the person above me. But its rather messy keeping track of what dwarf is dabbling in what skill (i don't play with DC, don't know how, haven't ever downloaded it even)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 07:13:15 pm »

I've gotten tired of trying to game the game - all that micromanagement gets annoying. So now I just drop the useless newcomers into magma.

"Hey, our dear leader wants all 20 of us to stand on this bridge that leads to a dead end - this must be one important bridge!"
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 11:25:08 pm »

Whenever I recieve too many nobles, I send them to the "Uber Fun Club", I.E. a magma-flood capable room.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:54:39 am »

I try doing the same thing as the person above me. But its rather messy keeping track of what dwarf is dabbling in what skill (i don't play with DC, don't know how, haven't ever downloaded it even)
I just alter profession name a bit, adding either W or A. This way it's easy to track both usage of said dwarves and overall "stocks" of them
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.