Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping Question  (Read 559 times)

Snappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumping Question
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:57:39 pm »

I have a quick question about how dumping works. I was going to figure it out by experimentation but I figured I'd ask first.

Let's say I want to dump rocks in one pile by my mason's workshop, and butchered chunks in a hole deep in the earth.

I disable the pit dump, enable the rock pile, and mark a bunch of stones for dumping. The dwarves will begin hauling rocks to the pile.

Now, if I disable the rock pile and enable the garbage pit, I can imagine the dwarves will either
(a) Continue to haul rocks to the rock pile, as it was the one that was active when the dump job was created,
(b) Dump the rocks in the pit, because it's the only dump that's active now.

I guess it's a question of when the pathfinding occurs... when the job is created or when the dwarf takes on the job...??

If it's (b), is there a (better, more reliable) way of differentiating my dump zones as described above?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:14:08 pm »

Just tested this. It's (a), any dwarves in the act of taking something to dump at the time of removing the first garbage zone will continue to dump in the first garbage zone.

EDIT: Breaking news: if a dwarf is on the way to an object (i.e. he hasn't picked up the object in question yet) at the time of rearranging the dump zones, the dwarf will take it to the new dump zone.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:16:34 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:38:58 pm »

so your saying they set their destination when they pick up the object
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:30:47 pm »

ah! this is good to know.