Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting Grounds Challenge  (Read 1091 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Hunting Grounds Challenge
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:42:32 pm »

Pretty simple one, and maybe not so much of a challenge, but it can prove interesting.

All you have to do is prepare a large area (either by "fencing in" an aboveground area or digging out a space underground) and then stock it with at least one breeding pair of wild animals. 

The idea here is to have a ready supply of wild beasties for you to play with, and it can also get you a little use out of feature creatures without having to wait for the dungeon master.  Capture and then release a few deer into your enclosure, and within a few years you'll have a nice-sized herd to deal with.  Carefully extract a breeding pair of cave crocodiles or naked mole dogs, and you'll be able to save them from extinction.

These wild-bred creatures can be used to train (or just use) hunters, they can be recaptured and put into arena fights, or they can just add a little spice to an otherwise barren treefarm.  Furthermore, these animals will have no desire to wander through your corridors, so you won't have to design complex airlocks to keep them out of your hair.  And if one does happen to get in, they'll be dealt with quite quickly (or at least make things interesting for your civvies).

So, that's basically it.  Capture wild animals, put wild animals in controlled pen, let wild animals breed, do fun things with wild animals. 

To really spice things up, drop a pack of peasants in the middle of a large pen filled with predators.  There are levers that will take them to safety, but will they be able to make it?  Alternatively, give them all wooden spears from the elves, a suit of dog leather armor, and wish them the best on their first hunting trip.  By the way, elephants are in season.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Grounds Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:24:52 pm »

I thought that animals disappeared every time the animal population respawned. I think that usually happens every season, but lately I had a fortress that was under constant undead attack and they respawned pretty much whenever one of the groups of skeletal racoons died trying to loot my trade depot, so maybe animal respawning has been revamped in the new version? :-\

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:46:25 pm »

Animals will never go "poof" and disappear, they need to make it to the edge of the map before they can leave.  If you pen them in, there's nowhere they can go.

I know this is possible because someone accidentally breached a cave river and got a big mamma cave croc in the mine shaft.  He sealed up the shaft, figuring he would just deal with it later.

Later:  Big mamma cave croc was pregnant.  Then her babies got pregnant.  He had a cave crocodile infestation in the walls.  Nasty stuff, that.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:51:34 am »

would the wild animals not attack my dorfs while trying to pit them ?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:02:24 am »

would the wild animals not attack my dorfs while trying to pit them ?

Build the cages right next to the pitting area, then they'll never have a chance to react.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 03:19:17 am »

can they be put on chains if the cage is next to the chain?
(so you could assure your breeding pair ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:47:55 am »

Possibly, but that wouldn't prevent them from attacking the dwarf who chained them.  And they might break away from the chain.  And you might only be able to assign tame creatures to chains.

There's not much reason to do it anyways.  Breeding isn't a problem since they reproduce via spores, so just toss a breeding pair into the pen and wait for the inevitable.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 05:15:23 am »

I really like the idea of this challenge. Too bad i'm on a glacier and we only get polar bears. And they don't come up to he fortress anymore...  :'(

I've only got one tame male. If i could get at least a tamed female as well i'll be happy. I'll be even happier if i can catch two females, one which i'll leave untamed and pit somewhere. Tame creatures breed with wild creatures right?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:19:59 am »

Possibly, but that wouldn't prevent them from attacking the dwarf who chained them.  And they might break away from the chain.  And you might only be able to assign tame creatures to chains.

There's not much reason to do it anyways.  Breeding isn't a problem since they reproduce via spores, so just toss a breeding pair into the pen and wait for the inevitable.
yes but how do you liberate their childes?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:45 am »

Cage trap corridor.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:28:15 am »

Cage trap corridor.
so you can end up with a just male breeding population ... i think it needs a more elaborate and automatisated, 100% sure dwarfish method to be found.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:30:05 am by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim