Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a Mini-Kingdom  (Read 975 times)

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
Making a Mini-Kingdom
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:08:05 pm »

I just had an idea for a fortress, kind of. What if you made a world, then when you started to really get a good amount of guys, lets say 50, you actually split your population into 2 independent, self susstained bases. Has anyone ever tried this, because basically your bases would be free of each other, only having to worry about each other when new migrants come, and when traders come. I think this would work well if you have a huge supply of resources far away from your base, you could get glass f you only have a small patch of sand far away form your magma, ect, ect.

Just wondering what people think of this idea and/or has anyone actually done this.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Mini-Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:13:02 pm »

This is difficult to do because of the way jobs are assigned to dwarves, hauling jobs in particular. With two distinct forts you'll have your haulers constantly running back and forth across the whole map, since there's not yet any way to assign dwarves to only work in a particular area. There's some plans to add that kind of system at some point though.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:16:52 pm »

ya, that kind of sucks, the only jobs that would screw us up would be the hauling jobs huh. You would also have to assign all beds and workshops to a paticular person too.
Delicious wine biscuits

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:17:44 pm »

Well, you can do this, if you make the path between the two forts completely blocked.  This means likely no trading, or possible cross-contamination during trading.  Also you'll get spammed with "Urist McHauler cancels Store Item in Stockpile:  Item Inaccessible."

But it's possible.  Takes some effort, but still possible.

Edit:  Like this.  Open the floodgates (x) when you want one fort to trade with the merchants in the depot (D).  Don't open the others.  Once you have all the dwarves out of the trading area, you could open the other gate if the other fort needs to trade.

PAIN IN THE ARSE.  But still doable.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:21:48 pm by Dadamh »

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:53:03 pm »

Yeah, I really can't wait for the Burrows function to be released so I can do this.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »

I know, it's like, omg there's a huge deposit of valuables, BUT IT'S TOO FAR AWAY TO USE, man, it would be so cool. i can't wait for that. ARGGGG. I'm mad at myself for thinking of this, because i want to do it.
Delicious wine biscuits

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:41 am »

I've done it on a small scale and not had any difficulty.

For example, in my current fortress my primary food production facility is apart from everything else. I have six dwarves each with their own private bedrooms, tables, chairs and workshops assigned exlusively to them. They're the only dwarves with the "food hauling" job assigned, so I haven't had much problem with dwarves running halfways across the world for hauling tasks.

I imagine you can do similarly in any case where the type of hauling task involved can be assigned exclusively to the dwarves in your outpost. For instance, if you have an established fortress on one end of the map, and want to send your miners to the opposite end of the map for several months to carve out a new fortress on their own, or want to build a lumber cutting  outpost somewhere, etc.

The trick is just to make sure that:

1) The dwarves in the outpost have privately assigned facilities for everything they need.

2) The types of hauling jobs involved are only being done in one place on the map.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 01:56:09 am »

I've done it before, I just had the two forts completely inaccessible to residents of the other fort.  It ended up just kinda being like managing two forts with one trade depot.  I even gave the nobles their own fort, and by 'fort' I mean death trap.   :-*
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:25:21 am »

This is (or was) a suggested challenge on the wiki.