Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants eager to please...  (Read 1425 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Migrants eager to please...
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »

My first immigration wave shoots me from 7 to 28 dwarves, many are the usual fish dissectors, potash makers, etc.

But some are useful, mechanics, craftsdwarves... and a hunter. Now I normally draft hunters as marskdwarves right away, but this one disappears the moment he arrives.

Do you know what the first kill he returned was? An elephant  ;D

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants eager to please...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:11:40 pm »

Haha, a decent start to a hunting career.

On a more somber note, I wouldn't get too attached to the guy.  Hunters are always half retarded and will get themselves killed without fail.

Snogmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:31:21 pm »

It usually concides with the hunt right after their 30th crossbow shot.
quot;A man chooses, a dwarf obeys."

Andrew "Tarn" Ryan, Mid-Winter, year 1960

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:38:49 pm »

If I get a mayor with an adamantine fetish, he gets promoted to be a hunter...

...with only his fists.

;D

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:24:56 pm »

Heh, I had a really good hunter once, I didn't even acknowledge his presence until I noticed that my buthery stockpile was completely full, I checked the job list looking to see if someone was going to start cutting up the corpses, and found this hunter.

Upon checking his profile he had 89 kills, including two kobolds and three goblins, and most of those were WITHOUT bolts (I had only recently started bolt production since I was having trouble finding anything other than silver ore).

A few seasons later he is still going and has gotten around 130 kills. I doubt my fort will run out of meat any time soon.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:37:09 pm »

Something similar happened to me.  A goblin thief runs by my fortress, and gets caught in an immigration wave.  I draft the first cheesemaker I see, who promptly gets stabbed to death without doing anything useful.  Then a ranger comes in from off-map, takes one step and shoots the gobbo through the throat. 

Needless to say, he's on my marksdwarf squad now.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:56:47 am »

On my current fortress I hit the admantine and got a fey mood on a weaponssmith almost right after that, with a little forbidding or alternate materials he made an admantine shortsword worth over a million (doubling my fortress wealth).
So once he was legendary I had him crank out some high quality admantine crossbows for my hunters.
Yes the material only comes into play if they start hitting things with their crossbows but I've found that a hunter who can hit harder with his crossbow than others can hit with a steel hammer tends to survive quite well.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:01:29 am »

Hi!

Actually, it seems that hunting has been by and large fixed.

In my current fortress, I allowed a migrant hunter to keep his hunting job (I usually deactivate it to keep the dwarf alive).

Now, I see from time to time an announcement of him cancelling the hunt because he ran out of ammunition. So, it seems that they stopped changing from shooting to clubbing. (Although I wish he would have just strangled that unconscious bear instead of going back for more ammo allowing the beast to get away (T_T) ).

And I have to say that hunting is a great addition to a surface- oriented fortress, right next to surface farming and fishing.

Deathworks

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:30:39 am »

I tend to groan about immigrants, mostly because I always have my starting seven set up to do everything or nearly everything I want on the current fortress, leaving 80% of the immigrants to be drafted into the military or set to Mason/Engraver/Furnace Operator/Wood Burner/Potash Maker/Lye Maker/Butcher/Tanner/Weaver/Miller/Thresher.  I have about 40 of those now.

Still, I am currently enjoying seeing woodcutters show up.  No magma on my map, so I'm running a clear-cutting operation.  And there's no elves to gnash their teeth menacingly at me, either!

On the subject of hunters, I've set my current military to be hunters in their downtime.  After they spent a while wrestling with shields, I deactivated them, gave them maces, and told them to bring back every marmot they saw.  Boy, you should have seen the look on those ambusher's faces.  Between them and my war dogs, no goblin has even gotten close enough to realize I trapped my entrance hall.  It's very amusing, since any of them that get past the guard dogs, the initial 6 1-weapon traps, the 9 cage traps, the 6 stonefall traps, and the 3 2-weapon traps... run directly into the 3 weapon traps loaded with 10 crossbows each.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:19 am »

hunters have worked pretty good since the move to the 3d version, other then the problem of running out of animals to hunt. The only problem with them is running out of bolts, but even that's not so bad unless they attack a carnivore like a wolf or whatever.

Of course the bug/feature with animal populations running out (incredibly fast) kind of puts and end to the thought of living off hunting which is a shame, it's much better balanced then farming.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 03:38:26 am »

I let 1 hunter run around killing things, lucky for him the worst thing he has to deal with a mountain goat, so i'm not sure how well it works. He is my best marksdwarf though.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.