Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Solved: Miasma management?  (Read 2344 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Solved: Miasma management?
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:10:11 pm »

How the f do I manage miasma.  Things are fine until I'm about size 100, and then all of a sudden dwarf's are dropping stupid food items that create miasma.  It's a little tedious to search through it and dump the items.  I don't really consider it fun or gameplay to have to constantly pause and find this stuff

UpdatE:
apparently I'm not proactive on it, I see a bunch of refuse icons that I could have jumped on.

Update 2:
apparently it was an organgatuan killing everything
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:31:57 pm by thistleknot »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solved: Miasma management?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:18 am »

Please elaborate, I smell awesome.   ;D
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:29 pm »

It sounds like you're marking everything to be dumped into a garbage dump zone. Make a refuse pile from the stockpiles menu instead; dwarves will automatically take any refuse/body-parts/corpses to the pile (corpses only if there isn't a valid coffin).

Some general tips on miasma mitigation:
It can pass through doors, but only if they're open. So an airlock will contain it if the doors don't get stuck open.
It can't propagate diagonally. If the only entrance to the dump is through a diagonal passage, the miasma can't get out.
It can move through z-levels.
It seems to dissipate faster outside, though someone will have to confirm that.

You might want to look into quantum-stockpiling all your trash with a minecart stockpile. It's one of the first things I build in a fort.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »

xxxxx xxxxxx
xxxx x xxxxx
x             x
x             x
x  refuse   x
x stockpilex
x             x
xxxxxxxxxxx

x=walls, blank is floor

It's a bit exploitey I feel, but it's also dang convenient to not have to seperate out miasma causing refuse from skeletons and bones or other 'useful' refuse anymore, and skipping the hauling step of hauling corpses decomposed to bones from outside to inside refuse stockpiles.

To not have the feeling of exploiting, simply make an airlock with two doors as mentioned.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:22:54 am »

I just keep my primary refuse stockpile (as well as the butcher and tanner workshops) outdoors.  No miasma is created.  I keep a smaller refuse stockpile just for organic craft materials near the craftsdwarf workshop, but those items get used up pretty quick anyway.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:19 am »

Maybe I'm missing something, but, regardless of how the rotting refuse got there, there is no reason to go around individually claiming those items.

If you hit 'd' then 'b' you can make a rectangle and claim a bunch of forbidden items at once.

Sometimes, when there's a tantrum spiral or violence in your fort, little pieces of food will be dropped and set to 'forbidden.'  If this happens in your food stockpile, it's really easy to never notice until it begins to rot.  It also seems to happen when you are producing too much food.  So, if you get a lot of miasma in your kitchen area, hit 'z.'  If the overall amount of food is more than ten times the amount of dwarves, destroy a farm plot.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:24:14 am »

I don't bother with airlocks, actually I generally keep my refuse stock pile under a floor hatch, next to my butcher/tanner/bone-crafting workshops...

I only ever get Miasma when the refuse get's too full of fresh goblins or something and they leave a fish on my fishery too long or something. 

At the moment I've got 40 kea and chinchilla corpses that refuse to rot.  Very aggravating... luckily since my refuse pit is vertical I just go down a level mine out a 11x11 square and designate my up/down stairways.

That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:09:36 am »

The best way to deal with miasma I found  is having a refuse pile contained in a room a few z-levels below the surface that is opened to the sky via a small chimney-like tower. The chimney itself is usually 2-3 z-levels high, about 2-4 tiles wide, and has a retracting bridge that secures the vent. Miasma builds up over time in the areas that weren't exposed to sun light (note that any tile that has been exposed to the sky is forever marked as 'light' allowing you to grow outside plants and will not generate miasma for rotting things) and is released by opening the vent. It's nice to watch purple foulness drift lazily over the ash-lands around my outdoor fortifications... I feel it gives the place an air of dignity and helps balance out the burning wood/flesh smell.