Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Water freezing in waterskins loop  (Read 1513 times)

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39e] Water freezing in waterskins loop
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:14:34 pm »

On a glacier map, if you have an not-subterranean water source and set soldiers to carry water, they fill waterskins, water immediately freezes to ice and soldiers return to filling waterskins. This could be technically accurate, smaller amounts of water cool and freeze faster, but something must break the loop. Also happens when giving water to injured dwarves.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [39e] Water freezing in waterskins loop
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »

What is the exact setup here?  Are they gathering water from ice or is there water that isn't frozen that should be?  If the items are freezing, the water should already be frozen when they grab it, unless there's some other bug I'm not aware of.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:43:28 pm »

Here is the archive image. It's an oceanside glacier fortress, where water is desalinated with screw pumps and stored in a built pool. Water taken from the pool freezes, I don't know at what moment. I have definitely seen waterskins with ice (3) and if soldiers are set to carry water they spend all their time trying to do it. And no, they are not just taking a very long time until they finish.

After thinking a bit, it seems that the water sources technically belong to ocean biome - pool is built over the beach. They might be filling waterskins, taking a couple of steps or a literal one step towards the stairs to glacier biome and returning, instead of immediately returning.

Save available, it also has other weirdnesses like some squares from bug 000472 and current unwillingness of dwarves to carry furniture to stockpile. Earlier backup saves too, those might be better because the fort is currently imploding: dwarves don't seem to be able to successfully drink from those wells and I've run out of alcohol.

PS. Are those workshops over the ocean meant to melt at unpredictable times?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:11:17 am by Bask »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:51:37 am »

Are they made of ice?  Then yes!

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:56:24 am »

Are the soldier's stepping on any tiles that are considered outside at some point?
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:27:15 am »

They are made of frozen water, yes. But at unpredictable times? They are workshops over the ocean or in the ocean biome (beach). Sometimes, for no reason I can see, they melt. Not x ticks of time after being built, not when an ocean wave goes over them, not when they have done x jobs. And not all of the workshops. Butcheries and stills do, craftsworking and leatherworking don't. x y placement seems to make no difference.

Are the soldier's stepping on any tiles that are considered outside at some point?

I thought about it as well. Outside has two definitions: one is the 'dwarves go outside' one, which is 'not dark subterranean'. In that sense, yes. The other definition is the one shown by looking at the square with k. When I thought this was the case, I built a roof over the wells and now they all count as inside. In that sense, no, dwarves don't make it to a square that is considered outside before the waterskins freeze.

Continuing to play, alcohol reserves are dry. Currently everyone's trying to drink from the wells and failing.

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:55:10 am »

I'm bumping this with a save: here.

Wells don't work. They have 7/7 non-muddy water under them, they count as inside, dwarves are trying to drink, fill waterskins and bring water to wounded from them. Drinking job never stops, dwarves get drowsy and hungry, soon they will be dehydrated and die while trying to drink.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:39:32 pm »

They are made of frozen water, yes. But at unpredictable times? They are workshops over the ocean or in the ocean biome (beach). Sometimes, for no reason I can see, they melt. Not x ticks of time after being built, not when an ocean wave goes over them, not when they have done x jobs. And not all of the workshops. Butcheries and stills do, craftsworking and leatherworking don't. x y placement seems to make no difference.

I think it's when you get too many items occupying the workshop, then the workshop just kinda pops and spills stuff around (except the ice used to build it). I've observed it on a butchery where i had too many slaughterings happen at once.

But it's not much of a problem for me since half my fortress is usually idle and chatting away at the ground floor of the ice tower.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:57 pm »

Neoskel, your avatar is way creepier scaled down than full size.  Just figured I'd let you know.  Owls do not need teeth that big!

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:20:01 pm »

I know it's not polite to bump my own thread again, but even now in the latest version dwarves continue to drink from those wells and die from dehydration. This is quite fortress-killing for me.