Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about the Baron  (Read 1665 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the Baron
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:46:12 pm »

Temperature: Hurts and drives off kobolds who would otherwise make themselves a nuisance on my glacier fort.

Weather: Rain refills murky pools. Snow makes the place look nice and white instead of a field of teal on my glacier.

Look, i'd like to find actual solutions to problems instead of just changing the init.

Anyways, back on topic: What does the wiki mean by types of jobs? Does it mean jobs set up from the 'j'ob screen with a managerdwarf or just anything done in a fortress like telling the cook to make one batch of seed biscuits?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:21 am »

As far as I'm aware it just means jobs that require that material or skill.

Metal/wood/stone/gem probably means any job that definately uses those materials, like making wood/stone furniture and cutting/setting gems and making weapons. Crafting probably means making a certain number of otherwise useless trade items and otherwise making use of the 'crafter' skills.

In other words, you either trim your population religously to keep it around 50, or avoid doing anything with gems and trade goods or something. There's pleanty of other ways to make tradable items. I bought everything I wanted off of a caravan with one suit of bismuth bronze platemail for example, and the traders still left with over a thousand in profit.

I believe one feature of the new version is migrants refusing to turn up if a lot of people die in anycase, so murdering newcomers would probably prevent every other migration or so.

I can't guarantee any of this though, the fact is you're asking something that I don't think many people have bothered with, they've either accomodated barons when they arrived or turned them off in the inits.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:12:41 am by Loctavus »
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 09:16:29 am »

I've sometimes still had migrants arrive "despite the danger" (direct game quote) so keeping a high death count may not be a permanent solution.

Best to just let him come when he wants, really. Anything else would be... cheating the game? *Ducks*
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:07:34 pm »

We don't know exactly how Toady envisions the final gameplay after he's done actually implementing everything.

I get the feeling that there will be little or no balancing in the core game play.  I think that if we want a 'balanced' play experience, the modding comunity is going to have to come up with different levels of difficulty worth of creature and civ sets.  I also think the comunity as a whole is going to have to realize that nothing that happens while playing a 5 armed, 6 headed, no pain, no bleed spider-demon with modded in magic weapons is even half as cool as the unmodded dwarf taking out a legendary giant.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 03:32:09 pm »

Probably the best way I can think of to delay the arrival of the Baron would be to limit migration by limiting wealth creation.  And maybe not trade anything to the dwarven traders at all.
Pages: 1 [2]