Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quivers... not only for bolts/arrows?  (Read 1042 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
quivers... not only for bolts/arrows?
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:03:47 pm »

Ok, so... I went into the raw files, and added guns as a weapon (it's a crossbow, TECHNICALLY) and bullets as ammo (which are crossbow ammunition). Obviously I made it so that guns would use bullets. Now, when I make a gun and bullets and tell a dwarf to fight with a crossbow, he picks up the gun and a quiver. He leaves the bullets. They don't train at the archery range, either.

Why don't quivers carry the ammunition that matches the dwarf's weapon?

(Okay, ummmm... this was my first post in the forum, before I'd realized there was a modding forum  :o. Oops. Can it be moved please?)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:40:34 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
Re: quivers... not only for bolts/arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:37:41 pm »

I'm not so sure this needs to be moved. At a quick glance, I don't see anything in the raws reffering to quivers, or what they can hold. Perhaps, in the same way that ranged weapons can be told to use certain types of ammo, there should be such an option with ammo containers? Either that, or all ammo should be placeable within a quiver. If the first, then all those who make new ammo types, and dislike placing everything in a quiver, could have separate ammo containers made. For ammo, it could be some sort of pouch rather than a quiver, or depending on the gun, it could be magazines. I know not everyone approves of guns, so maybe spears/such could be designated to be thrown, or rather have javelin added. Those probably wouldn't go in a quiver, so it could be used for that as well. A'course, then we'd need a way to have a dwarven hand designated as a ranged weapon that uses thrown items... actually, that's not a bad idea either... Or someone could mod in a ranged weapon called a dwarven hand, but then you might see Urist McThrower wielding a +horse leather dwarven hand+ or something.

Ok, got a lil' out of hand there, but still, moddable ammo containers would be a good thing to have, if they don't already exist. And why not have dwarven throwers put in, and specify what should be thrown, eh? Maybe even have units able to be designated as throwable...  :o new way to rid of cats! Oh wait, you can already throw units, now just make such a move accessible to fortress dwarves rather than just adventurers!

Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:22:53 pm »

Yeah, that needs to be put into the raws. I'd certainly like it.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:44:53 pm »

i'd prefer if they at least stuffed more than 4 bolts in thier quiver, because they won't put in more than one type
the only diffrence between crossbows and guns in the middle ages was that crossbows were both more powerful and extremely accurate/easy to use
guns were not a precision weapon
(pirates used guns at point blank!, though that may be a diffrent time period)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:01 am »

the only diffrence between crossbows and guns in the middle ages was that crossbows were both more powerful and extremely accurate/easy to use
guns were not a precision weapon
(pirates used guns at point blank!, though that may be a diffrent time period)

There's a detailed discussion about this here.

Also, we need pirates when boats are in. They could be like a nomadic ocean civ, but they'd be sort of a mini-civ where people joined and left it from other civs.