Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39f] waves on drained land  (Read 665 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39f] waves on drained land
« on: August 09, 2008, 11:40:45 pm »

I still get them.  I built out into the ocean a bit and drained it (my power plant generates 1060 power, I use 1052).  Waves are still getting generated over land that's down to 1/7 water.  So the land is just starting to dry, and suddenly it's at 5/7 water and it all gets wet again.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39f] waves on drained land
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:00:06 am »

Old bug.  Waves spawn in the biome, not where water is.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:41:17 am »

Supposedly fixed bug, or I wouldn't have reported it a second time.

I'm not sure I understand the logic for whether or not it will spawn waves.  I was getting waves spawning from seemingly nowhere, but eventually, after putting in roofs (floors on z+1) and lots of walls, I was able to get them to stop.  Now I have a perfectly serviceable island fortress.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:49:40 pm »

I can't find it after a quick search on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_bugs.html .
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:21:48 pm »

The relevant dev_now posting was on 05/22/2008.  It appears that waves still occur when the ocean floor is at 1/7 and uncovered, but not when the ocean floor has a roof over it, or when the ocean floor is dry.  To work through this required roofing over the entire area to stop the waves, then setting up a few more pumps to drain the area.  Once it dried, I safely removed the roof (well, except for accidentally causing a cave-in that knocked out half my dwarves and splattering one all over the dining room floor 10 stories below, but the important thing is that the reclaimed ocean floor is now no longer generating waves).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:18 pm »

Have you got a save for this?  Having tested it before, I doubt I'll be able to get it to reproduce easily.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!