Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FALLOUT WARS (The place to defend, or attack Fallout 3)  (Read 2952 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FALLOUT WARS (The place to defend, or attack Fallout 3)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »

Your mistake is that you assume that Fallout 3 is being targeted at Fallout fans, when the developers disdain for Fallout fans has been made repeatedly apparent.  The game is not targeted at Fallout fans.  That is why they hate it so much.  It's targeted at Oblivion fans.  The millions and millions of Oblivion fans, who will all by it without thinking.

You make the mistake of assuming that's what I meant. I am saying it never mattered because once everyone found out that the Fallout franchise was changing hands it was doomed; once that news dropped everyone started foaming at the mouth and going into fits and seizures and thus the hate machine started rolling.

Bethesda gives fans some good reasons to doubt, and hate, what they are doing with the franchise, but in all honesty it could have been handed off to a team of perfect, game creating angels and the fans would still shit down their throat for it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:18:45 pm by Davion »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 05:37:25 pm »

As I recall, Fallout had to be modified for European markets because they were unsettled by the idea that you could kill children. So Black Isle just removed the children. This broke at least one quest, and eliminated a ton of dialogue.

Yet they have a perk that lets you do extra damage to women? What are you doing, shooting them in the cervix? Oh that's right, no groin shots.

Eliminating complexity? Removing ambiguity?

It sounds like the game is just being made by a company who thinks they have something to lose and is not willing to take any chances. And while choosing the safe bet is generally how I prefer to do things, it leads to a damn boring user experience.

So I guess Bethesda just needs to get out of the house and get laid. Else FO3 will play like it was made by a 50 year old bald virgin living in his mother's sewing room.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 05:46:37 pm »

Your mistake is that you assume that Fallout 3 is being targeted at Fallout fans, when the developers disdain for Fallout fans has been made repeatedly apparent.  The game is not targeted at Fallout fans.  That is why they hate it so much.  It's targeted at Oblivion fans.  The millions and millions of Oblivion fans, who will all by it without thinking.

You make the mistake of assuming that's what I meant. I am saying it never mattered because once everyone found out that the Fallout franchise was changing hands it was doomed; once that news dropped everyone started foaming at the mouth and going into fits and seizures and thus the hate machine started rolling.

Bethesda gives fans some good reasons to doubt, and hate, what they are doing with the franchise, but in all honesty it could have been handed off to a team of perfect, game creating angels and the fans would still shit down their throat for it.

Actually, the fans were shitting down Interplay's throats since Tactics came out, and they thought that was the worst it could get... Then Brotherhood of Steel came out.  Most fans would have been ecstatic if Troika had gotten the licence, but they were poor, so they didn't even bid.  Then they went out of business and Bethesda didn't even try to hire any of them.  I think they actually turned away Leonard Boyarski.  Sure there was rage over Bethesda getting the license, but it's constantly grown and progressed as development has gone on and more information has become available.  Fallout 3 was being developed at Interplay under the code name Van Buren before they went bankrupt, and it looked like it was finally going to be a true sequel, there's even a tech demo out on the internet that shows how they managed to keep the same look and feel as 1 and 2 while upgrading the graphics.

And you're still acting like Fallout fans are the only target audience for this game when they are in fact not a target audience for this game.  Like I said, they're the millions of Oblivion fans, who will buy it regardless of whether or not it's true to the series simply because it's from the same developer that made Oblivion.  There's no reasonable doubt that Fallout 3 will be a huge success just like it's predecessor.

@Leo, Just so it's clear they aren't removing kids from any version of Fallout 3.  They're just unkillable in all versions.  What's funny is, they completely ignored their excuses for excluding kids from Morrowind and Oblivion when they added them to Fallout 3.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

The trend is: if it was not made by BlackIsle, it blew.
Fallout 3 is not being made by the BlackIsle team, therefore it will also simply suck in some aspect.

It is not BlackIsle, so it is not Fallout. In fact:
To quote one ecstatic preview,  "Fallout 3 is Oblivion 2."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:12:23 pm by Idiom »
Pages: 1 [2]