Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Untouchable Flying Goblin  (Read 2282 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
[39e] Untouchable Flying Goblin
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:25:13 pm »

Ok.  This is a save from a succession game.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t9xmnx12gg1

This save has a mysterious goblin flying through the air.  The goblin apparently died during a normal ambush that got savescummed a few times.  Also the goblin doesn't show on any item lists, doesn't register through [k] looking or [v] looking, and isn't on the unit list.  However, we haven't had any attacks for confirmedly two years after he got stuck there, and abandoning the fort gives the 'conquered' message despite no hostile units on the unit list.

Channeling under it doesn't remove it.  You can build in it's square.  I've built a 3x3 tower around it, with a wall inside it's square and one level of walls above it, and collapsed the whole thing to no effect.  I can't find a way to remove it.

Notably, abandoning and then going adventuring turns the goblin into a corpse.  Subsequently reclaiming the place allows a normal "abandoned" screen, but frankly playing until I get another siege is a long time on a reclaim to test.  I may do it tomorrow anyway.

This seems to be an obscure bug, but if anyone is capable of repairing the save or something, I'd be grateful.  The idea of the succession game is a fort that last forever, but having no sieges or thieves would make it exceedingly dull after a while.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: [39e] Untouchable Flying Goblin
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:53:04 am »

My bad on this one.

After wracking my brain and going through all my multiple copied saves, what I believe happened is I saved the game, unknowingly while the goblin was in mid-flight.  Ergo, he was saved in flying mode, and when the game reloaded he was just left there, I assume with no data to suggest he should have been doing anything else.

If I remember, there were also some arrows flying around, but I think they just dissapeared when the game was reloaded.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:21:53 pm »

I wound up with an eternally-hovering olmman similar to this, he was in an underground river constantly trying to climb up a one-Z-level waterfall and being thrown back down by the water flow. I guess at some point I saved while he was in mid-plummet.

Fortunately he doesn't bother anyone, floating there in the air over the rapids, so I figured he made for a nice decoration. I've since extended a path along the shoreline right out past him and fisherdwarves wander by on a regular basis without even giving a second look. :)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:14 pm »

Not the first time this has come up. I hope it's still being looked at. The other thread is

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22414.0
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:51:19 pm »

Happened to me with a fisherdwarf stuck in suspended animation.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 01:19:27 am »

saving in mid-air=bad?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:36 pm »

This didn't reproduce for me, but I've reopened Bug 851 and I'll see if I can figure anything out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!