Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some Old Time Rock'n'Roll...  (Read 6226 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Old Time Rock'n'Roll...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 07:46:14 am »

I don't know how somebody could cling to one genre. I love metal, but if I listen to Ensiferum for three hours, I really don't want to hear more metal for a while.

That all dpends on which ensiferum you're talking about.

I love Jari Maenpaa's ensiferum, but the one that somehow held up after the entire band was gutted for it's talent, I'm not so sure. I can't stand Petri, mostly because he just absolutely butchers all of the songs that Jari wrote and performed perfectly. (See 10 year anniversary and the 2005 Demo re-release. Ugh.) Or maybe after years of listening to Jari I got too used to such a great metal vocalist.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »

The only techno I can stand is Infected Mushroom. I'm not sure why, because many people try to assure me that there's techno that's better.
Same here. Infected Mushroom is weird, you feel like you're not even listening to techno. Currently I'm pondering if I should go see Infected Mushroom live in October.

I haven't really listened to any "Old Time Rock'n'Roll", but I do prefer rock music to metal. I particularly like The Foo Fighters, Dream Theater, Muse, Pink Floyd, The White Stripes, AC-DC and Gorrilaz.
Let's take Dream Theater and AC-DC out and put QOTSA, Mars Volta, Dinosaur Jr. (,Flaming Lips, Beck, Arcade Fire) and bunch of unknown (Finnish) bands in and you're me (music tastely).

Of course,metal heads are allergic to techno. :P
No offense but it is rare for a person to like both metal and techno equally.
In fact, I know two metal heads who are very much into metal and electronic music (at first especially goa trance)

Then general things about music:

I'm another one who can't understand all the praise about metal. I listen to alternative rock! Living in so metal-infested country as Finland, I have tried many times to listen to (and like) all the metal bands that are told to be better than anything. Every time I have had to stop listening after a while for some reason. I don't know why I'm unable to like metal, my guess at the moment is that it just sounds too dark and depressing for me and there's just too much of everything going on. (To clarify, I don't only listen to simple music. On the contrary I very much enjoy progressive music although I still like simple ideas in music.)

Other thing that might make me dislike metal, being a drummer, is that it is mainly based on technical playing, especially the drum section. I have always thought myself as a feeling-based drummer and so have failed to admire some of the most technically talented drummers in the world (Portnoy anyone?). Because of this I have many times clashed heads with metal heads (it hurts!) because of our completely different approaches to playing/learning a song.

Now there has been a small change over the last year or so. I have learned to really like a band that could be said to be metal (although some people disagree) and that band is System Of a Down. There's just something in that crazy music that I really much like (especially the album Mesmerize). Also I have started to somewhat like Meshuggah, which can't be described as anything else but metal, but the original rhytms they have is most probably the reason I like them.

Kagus, I don't know if you have ever listened to The White Stripes, but if you like Led Zeppelin's III, you should give them a try. Also, Wolfmother is Led Zeppelin and/or Black Sabbath.

Now, I will conclude this post by doing something that could be the most clichèd thing when talking about music on the Internet. I will put a link to my last.fm profile! (by the way, there's a Dwarf Fortress group there and no, I didn't create it :P). So here goes: Click if you dare

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 05:27:23 pm »

I enjoy just about all 'rock' music. I think of rock as a category and metal, punk, classic, alternative rock, and all of those as derivatives.

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Tom Petty, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Nazereth, Foghat, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, The Doors, Electric Light Orchestra, The Eagles, America, Def Leppard and Faith No More, I listen and love it all. However, I am fond of plenty of newer stuff as well. KoRn (probably my favorite metal-ish band), System of a Down, and even Billy Talent and Papa Roach.

However, my favorite artist of all time has to be Beck. There isn't a song of his I dislike.

Ooh, forgot to mention Tenacious D; the definition of awesome.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:29:16 pm by Helmaroc »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Meh,I personally do not like pure metal but I do like metal with the flavor of other genres.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 08:34:13 am »

My favorite music is classic rock! David Bowie, Led Zep, Lots of Pink Floyd, Queen and Styx. There's still more stuff I have to get, but this used to be all I listened to. I recently branched out to more unusual bands, like REM, The Strokes, and Arcade Fire. I really have to recommend Arcade Fire, some very movement-heavy songs.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:37 pm »

Ah, classic rock... I have very wide tastes, mostly revolving around classic rock. I listen to Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Queen, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, etc etc. I also like some "softer" metal, such as Black Sabbath, Dio, Europe (Yes, Europe), and a few others. I also enjoy folk, mostly Bob Dylan, though I have a particular soft spot for Celtic stuff. One of the only two current bands I listen to is Flogging Molly, which I would classify as Celtic Rock, even though it's usually referred to as being Celtic Punk. I love the Dubliners, though I find their original vocalist incredibly annoying.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 01:13:18 am »

What was written in the first post of this topic is pretty much what I was thinking while going through the "rate the above song"...
Well, these days, I am pretty much in electronic kind of music, but not necessarily dance-type. So while I kinda like earliest things from Yoji Biomehanika and Paul Oakensfold's Goa mix, I am more in EBM/Industrial. Neuroticfish, Psyclon 9, VNV Nation that is (although for the later I prefer older albums).
Funny thing is that about 2 years ago, I mostly preferred metal. I do listen to it now too, but I am staying picky and critical as before (so not much diversity here).

As for rock, I do not mind to listening to Pink Floyd or The Doors or any sort of old-school/classical rock, it is just that I do not know muck about it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 02:32:05 am »

I was out cruising with my father, and the subject came up.  For those looking for a bit of music history to go with this thread, check out this classic chart-topper.  Ask yourself if you could like it, then realize that it's forty years old.

For you RockBand afficionados, that's the same band that made Highway Star, which they went so far as to use for the commercial (probably because it was the cheapest recognizable song they could get advertising rights for).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 02:44:17 am »

Not to mention Smoke on the Water, the definitive king of riffs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 03:01:04 am »

Which is not a song about getting high.  I don't know how many stoners I've had to school - Smoke on the Water has nothing to do with bongs.  It's a song about a hotel in the Alps burning down.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 03:14:05 am »

After some dweeb shot a flare gun into the ceiling at a Frank Zappa concert.

Hell, maybe they were high...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:01 am »

I only listen to music in my car, and the only music I have in my car is classic rock. For the past week or so I've been listening Rainbow's Long Live Rock'n'Roll a LOT, but as of yesterday my favourite song is Hocus Pocus by Focus.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:55 am »

I don't listen to modern music, but a major beef with most of what is out there is that it sounds too sterile. There's a lot of of music now that feels too, I dunno, organized. Not sure I can put it into words better than that.

Listen to a little Led Zepplin and one of the things you'll notice is that their songs tend to swtich tracks at various points, changing tempo, adding a new instrument or a different beat. Maybe tossing in a guitar solo here or there. Feels to me like much of the modern stuff just keeps repeating itself until its over and the lack of variation makes it boring.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:51 am »

this classic chart-topper.  Ask yourself if you could like it, then realize that it's forty years old.

It's been ages since I've heard that, thanks for bringing it up. Gotta love those clothing and haircut. Masterfully crafted haircut.  ;D Those were the years.

I don't listen to modern music, but a major beef with most of what is out there is that it sounds too sterile. There's a lot of of music now that feels too, I dunno, organized. Not sure I can put it into words better than that.

Listen to a little Led Zepplin and one of the things you'll notice is that their songs tend to swtich tracks at various points, changing tempo, adding a new instrument or a different beat. Maybe tossing in a guitar solo here or there. Feels to me like much of the modern stuff just keeps repeating itself until its over and the lack of variation makes it boring.

I would tend to agree with you, but I would add, that this goes to a majority of mainstream music. What I dislike in that kind of music, is exactly that lack of innovations and following the same pattern. Ofcourse, not every "underground" artist is really any different and  if you would like to hear something new, you must sometimes search really vigorously. But it hard work usually pays off.
At least what I can from my experiences with electronic music/metal music (especially metal :\) 

Also, I just remembered I am a childhood fan of The Queen, so I shall stop hijacking classical-rock oriented topic with the means of electronics.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:20:14 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 [2]