Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Trade! why?  (Read 2649 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Trade! why?
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »

I've been looking for an embark point, and it seems that very many squares show the neighbor races and 'No Trade' written in yellow. I'm trying to figure out what would prevent trade, and scrolling around it seems completely random. Has anyone figured out why so much of the map wouldn't allow trade?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: No Trade! why?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:09:03 pm »

Well I'm relatively sure that trade comes from real civilizations now, not just spwaned off the side of the map, so you would need to embark close enough for a trade route.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »

And even then there's a chance they won't come on the first year. On my fort's first year only the dwarven one came, the human one only showed up later, and no sign of elves yet, but thats probably because my civ is at war with them.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »

My fort has been visited by elves and dwarves, but no humans. So ya, you won't be getting some of them often it seems.

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:08 pm »

Its subtle changes like these that make games like DF never go stale between releases  :)
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:23:48 pm »

Well I'm relatively sure that trade comes from real civilizations now, not just spwaned off the side of the map, so you would need to embark close enough for a trade route.

I don't think so. I'm getting lot's of no trade indicators even very close to my home civilization. Occasionally only one of the races will trade, but usually when there's no trade, there is no trade with either dwarves, elves or humans. It seems about 50/50 ratio between squares that allow all trade and squares that allow none. It seems that there might be some barrier that I can't see from teh embark screen.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »

I found one square that will change the trade status depending on where I put the 4x4 map on the highest detail level. The whole map square is just woodland and savannah, nothing I can see would prevent movement.

My latest forts:

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »

Check the different variables, what about height? That might be a big factor

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:22 pm »

I'm having a similar issue. Good mountains, evil forest... move a screen away, same biomes, no problems with trading. T_T

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:53 pm »

Keep in mind that as you scroll across the map the default dwarven civilization you are embarking with changes. It may be that whatever civ you are and the civ with "No Trade" don't have a trading agreement. I've never heard of that so it's probably new to this version.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:45:23 pm »

I've gotten 'No-trade' *right* beside a eleven settlement, but was terribly far from the humans. I think it has something to do with the combined distance between all possible traders, and if you are above that, no trade...
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:26 pm »

Well if the city of question was taken over by another civilisation, and you were still out of range of there capital, then yes it would say "No trade" from the city.