Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The lovely A.I...  (Read 1568 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The lovely A.I...
« on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:07 pm »

So i just felt like venting some anger over the last(and i mean my dwarfs.) brilliant move.

So this current fort got a nice predictable path for any hostiles to take and they are quite exposed to marksdwarfs along the way. Usually i just keep my few marksdwarfs over the entrance, entrenched with a huge suply of bolts, to not have to deal with the feeble intelligence of the suicidal soldiers.
A caravan came and so did some ambushers.
I see that the caravan will be attacked about the same time they're in range of my toweroutpost, approximately 20 squares away from where i station my dwarfs and connected with a tunnel, and i dont feel like cleaning up after a dead caravan so i send my dwarfs to the tower... or so i thought.
There was a copper vein through the access tunnel that i dug out, leading to the side of the cliff a fair distance away, a security breach that has been waiting for a mason to plug for atleast 2 seasons.
Anyway, the dwarfs head down the tunnel and decides that going left into the dug out vein is a good way to get into the tower(or something, dunno what theyre thinking), which cannot be accessed from the surface. They exit through the vein and go around a rather large mass of rock to get to the other side where the gobs are and thinks its a good idea to charge them.
They die. fast.
Now i wonder, how hard is it to go down two stairs, straight through a tunnel and then up two stairs and stay there?
And yes, They were ordered to stay close to their stations.

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The lovely A.I...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:41:39 pm »

you should had put a NICE LONG restriced traffic blocks on the security breach.

of course, knowing le military dorfs, they may just ignore traffic tags altogether.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:10:40 pm »

Now i wonder, how hard is it to go down two stairs, straight through a tunnel and then up two stairs and stay there?
Set up a door (or two), and a stockpile for pig tail socks. Wait for the stockpile to receive a pig tail sock, and set up or configure an existing stockpile to accept pig tail socks, and then delete the "original". Wait for the hapless dwarf/dwarves to come racing over to grab the precious sock, and then slam the door on the swine and lock it tight.

...at least, I think that's the only way ::)
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:22:55 pm »

And try not to station dwarves near thin walls when in squads. They will pile around the captain, even if they are in hostile territory instead of safely behind a wall.

Another advantage for towers. They will never try to get into the open space outside of the tower and stay inside.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:51:24 am »

And try not to station dwarves near thin walls when in squads. They will pile around the captain, even if they are in hostile territory instead of safely behind a wall.

Another advantage for towers. They will never try to get into the open space outside of the tower and stay inside.

Thats another odd thing. they were not in a squad and they still seemed to want to go outside.

And they had no reason at all to even enter the breach so i doubt a restiction would have helped.