Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh, by the way  (Read 4149 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, by the way
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 02:03:06 pm »

By Urist's beard. This is the greatest currently existing country. This news, on top of the fact that you apparently have a Penguin Knight, clears any doubt that was in my mind. If I ever come across a fortune, I'm taking a vacation there. Probably in the winter. I can deal with no sunlight, but I'll become a geeky, confused zombie if I don't get enough not-sunlight.

Good to hear from ya, though! Er. I'm assuming you're not one for shrimp/egg/carrot gelatin, so is it possible to find more ah, generic food?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 02:05:42 pm »

Feh. I prefer eating testicles.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:01 pm »

I... er, I don't know how to respond to that, myself, though I find myself vaguely curious as to what sort of testicles you prefer and whether or not you consider yourself a testicle connoisseur.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 02:16:14 pm »

I think the environment might contribute a bit to the general insanity...  First you get a summer where the sun doesn't go down, which wreaks havoc with your sleep pattern, and then you get a winter where the sun doesn't come up, which tends to put most people on edge.

NOW I get most of Wintersun's songs.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 02:54:32 pm »

No, there's pretty much only one type of testicles available here, ram's testicles, and even then it's mostly for the shock and cultural values rather than the taste.

See, I've never actually eaten testicles, but neither have I eaten that gelatin-stuff.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 03:09:54 pm »

I thought you were kidding about the testicles. Must be funny to tell people this and see the looks on their faces. Meh, I'm in America. The most I can do to shock somebody is to lie and tell them I watch NASCAR, or something.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:04 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Țorramatur

Traditional Icelandic cuisine, by Wikipedia. All you need to know, and some things you don't.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 02:55:38 pm »

Depends on what you consider "generic food".  "Generic food" around here would probably include caviar in tubes and filleted mackerel in tomato sauce (which looks a hell of a lot worse than it tastes, by the way).  Some people will also have geitost, which is just a soft brown goat cheese that's slightly sweet.

But if you come across a household that proudly serves you a tin of leverpostei, find an escape route.  Pig liver pâté does not a sandwich spread make.

The four essential food groups are sandwiches, aquavit, potatoes, and meat.  Speaking of sandwiches, did I mention that butter is considered by some to be as essential as bread?  Butter is spread onto the bread as a foundation for whatever else is to come, be it fish, cheese, or jam.

Eh.  If you like sandwiches, you'll do just fine.  Not everyone likes butter quite so much as the others, and the bread is damn good (provided you find a bakery that still believes in the old tradition of "it isn't bread unless you can kill something with it").  Caviar-in-a-tube is quite good, but tastes nothing like any other caviar you may have had.  Mackerel in tomato sauce is also very good, but tastes nothing like any other fish product you may have had.  Geitost is delicious, but tastes nothing like any other cheese you may have had.

Add to this pickled herring, jams made from fresh and quite possibly local berries, some sort of smoked fish, and you've got yourself a Norwegian breakfast/lunch/dinner.  And let's not forget the chocolate and caramel spreads that delight the children (Norwegians eat sandwiches instead of cereal most of the time.  The sweet stuff has to enter into the growing child's diet somehow).

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 02:59:20 pm »

I heartily disagree with you on the leverpostel part. I find it to be the most delicious sandwich spread in existence, but I can never be bothered to actually find some, it's not as common around here.

Pages: 1 [2]