Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I heard a rumor..  (Read 860 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I heard a rumor..
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:18:26 pm »

That it was possible to pump water from 2 z levels above the source. I can't recall who said it, but someone on these forums. Having just attempted this, and finding it isn't possible, leaves me in a predicament. I've got a 3x2 maximum possible space that I need to get water to from one z level below it. I can't fit pumps, or run the power for said pumps to this spot. The reason being for this, is that the space occupies the queen's throne room in the middle of the castle. I can't spare any more room and have it looking as I want it to. Might anyone have a clue on how I could do this, short of filling it with buckets? =P

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I heard a rumor..
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 05:05:22 pm »

Two possible solutions:

Pump manually, and uninstall the pump when you're done,

OR

Construct a closed pipe below the z level the area you want filled is. Run it to your water source, then place a pump on the same level as the destination pond, pumping into the pipe with nowhere else for the water to go. The water will flow back up the pipe at the end to the level of the pump.

Example:
Code: [Select]
__    _________     
  |~~|_______~~%%
  |~~~~~~~~~~~|  |~~
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:18:05 pm »

You will need to mechanically power this pump, however, but thats a trivial task if you have access to wind. It does work incredibly well for removing any water pressure threats, such that you can have a water source many, many Z levels above the well in complete safety. Often times I'll embark on completely flat maps, dig down into the center of the map for a vertical style fort, then use the local brook as the source for the well. Set up a mechanically powered pump to do this and its completely safe.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:18:15 pm »

Two possible solutions:

Pump manually, and uninstall the pump when you're done,

OR

Construct a closed pipe below the z level the area you want filled is. Run it to your water source, then place a pump on the same level as the destination pond, pumping into the pipe with nowhere else for the water to go. The water will flow back up the pipe at the end to the level of the pump.

Example:
Code: [Select]
__    _________     
  |~~|_______~~%%
  |~~~~~~~~~~~|  |~~

The problem is that I want a constant stream of water, which ideally comes out of the second story of my castle and lands in the fountain, and is then drained out by the grates into the sewer, so basicly a waterfall into the fountain, around which is based my meeting area/a statue garden stemming from an Adamantite statue.( I have a VERY elaborate sewer/aqueduct system set up that takes up most of the 2nd 3rd and 4th levels of my map )

The water source is on the third Z level down, the place I want to get it to is on the second Z level up. I may have come up with a way to do it ( I think I can power the pump via a channel underneath, using the excess power from the pumps that bring up the water from my Aqueduct, It will be close power usage wise but it should work. Damn windmills and their 20 power ) but I have to wait for my sewer to drain completely, which takes some time as I haven't set up pumps in most of it yet.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 07:57:12 pm »

When building an indoor waterfall make sure the drainage level is not just one Z level below the meeting area, or you'll get massive flooding. You'll need to dig out a pit of several Z levels before you get to the sewer, that way water pressure works for you and you won't have flooding. At least, assuming you can get rid of the water fast enough.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 08:45:04 pm »

I've got it working, and with the initial pump I ended up with more water than I could handle, with a minor flood a few tiles around the target area. It started pumping correctly ( minus a few 1/7 errant piles of water ) eventually. I think the initial flood was caused by my negligence in letting the whole aqueduct fill up with 7/7 and overflow into my pumping chambers ( what a mess ) That'll teach me to let it run while I take a bathroom break. I'd still like to find a way to make it not flood the area at all, but I guess this will have to work for now. My dwarves are enjoying the waterfall, and I like the way it looks. I've got more freaking axles and gears running around this place than I can possibly fathom.