Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [Sucession Game] Angel of Wards  (Read 5681 times)

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Sucession Game] Angel of Wards
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2008, 08:10:54 pm »

5th Hematite, 1054, Early Summer
I once recovered a letter from the humans that was forgotten in trade goods my family received.  (I had some trouble finding an adequate translator.)  The letter read in part, “Dwarves are filthy creatures.  They crawl in the dirt and mud like worms.  They stink of filth, ale, and occasionally, vomit.  They disgust me.”

Human noses are offended easily at the normal order of dwarves, what our women sometimes call “the fragrance of industry.”  What is the filthiest creature that walks on two legs?  It is not us, and I cannot say it for the weakly scented humans nor the elves, though they stink of sunberries.  It is goblins!  They are the filth of the world.  And not far from our fortress is a goblin tower, filled with skinny little barbarians!

I have a plan.  I was give them a bath that will wash green skin right from their bones!  I have assigned the miners to dig out a bath under their tower.  It’s a huge effort, but it will be worth it, my friend!  When the time is right, I was collapse their tower into a bath of magma.  We do not need their treasures, for the earth itself has all the treasure we need to be a strong dwarven kingdom.  Mark my words, the tower will fall!

A problem stands in our path.  A portion of the stone in the west portion of the bath zone is damp.  We will flood if the miners dig through.  I was have to think of something to fulfill my plan, and then my name will be remember through all history as the Bather of Goblins and Cleanser of the Land!

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:47 pm »

2nd Galena, 1054, Late Summer
As the miners were excavating the bath under the goblin tower, they found damp stone.  I believe I mentioned this in an earlier entry.  In an attempt to remedy the situation, one of the miners, working from the level above, dug into one of the underground veins of water and began flooding the bath prematurely.  I was going to attempt boiling the water out by opening up a magma vein and letting that flow into the underground water, but that wasn't to be.

I was excited to see a human caravan arrive a few weeks ago.  I thought we were completely forsaken by merchants.  The wagons made it safely into our trade depot, but the straggling humans with beasts of burden were ambushed by goblins.  I expected them to put up a better defense.  The other humans refused to trade and left the fortress without paying any attention to our attempts at negotiation. 

I melted all the money.  Who needs currency when we have industry?  If we do not work together, our fortress shall fall apart!

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2008, 07:27:59 pm »

Early Timber, 2054, Mid-Autumn
Since my last entry, things went down as usual.  One of our jewelers was walking through our primary grave "yard" which I had sealed off from the outside so we can pay our respects even when there's a siege.  The guy got possessed, and he made something or other.  Trust me, if you seen one dwarf possessed, you've seen them all.

I had payed little attention to our army since I took over at the fortress, but by this time, it was clear my plans to undermine the occupied goblin tower were not going to work out.  I stopped in the barracks only to find we had a squad full of champions (and a non-champion wrestler thrown in for good measure.  I think he goes by the name "Macho Man Thob Thunder.")  I once saw a minor only hours after activation kill a goblin without a scratch to his person, so I knew this squad, the Sensitive Mines, could annihilate the goblins of our realm with ease.  I send them in with a second squad for backup, and they literally tore the goblins to shreds.  I suppose a bloodbath is just as good as magma bath.

In celebration of this, my next project was to raze the nearer, unoccupied goblin tower.  I don't know what the ruler ahead of me did, but it had a lot of damage already.  No stairs, floors were torn out, etc.  I had my miners take out the walls on the first floor, put one support in place, and then pulled a lever.  The uppers floors fell straight down!  They sustained little damage, but the roof two one of our tunnels caved in killing a dwarf and defacing an artifact or something!  Well, at least we have all the obsidian we need.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:42 pm »

Good to see Sedil Zalis still going.  Everything sounds like it's going great except for the aquifer thing.

So you just sent the main squad into the main tower to slaughter the Lashmaster and the other residents?  No big deal?  And which tower did you just collapse anyway?  Can't wait to see the map.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2008, 09:18:48 pm »

24th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter
Oh how the mighty have fallen!  Coelocanth is dead!  In the first week of Moonstone, Coelocanth did not report back with his mining party.  After a search, we found his charred remains.  In my excitement after the fall of the northern goblin tower, I ordered the miners to demolish the southern tower, which my dwarves have all ready laid waste.  I had a beautiful plan: Demolish the walls on the first and second floor, placing a few temporary supports in their place, and then, when all is finished, pull the lever.  We had to separate the structure from the hillside it was built against, but Coelocanth himself reported to me one day, “Friend,” he said, “there is magma oozing from cracks in the wall.”  I told him, “Just work around it!”  But the heat was too much for him and he got fried, maybe from steam coming from the ground below.  Poor, faithful Coelocanth!

And then things got worse.

We had our first Goblin siege.  I thought to myself, “No sweat.”  I saw the goblins were taking a tunnel one of my predecessors dug out for some odd reason.  (Part of it was sealed since it led to a magma-filled bedroom.)  I looked at the diagrams, I thought I saw the stairs where the goblins would exit the tunnel, but it was the wrong place!  The army was waiting for them in one of their abandoned towers, but they emerged within the fortress.  We lost ten dwarves that day, some of them were just common laborers.  I sealed off the tunnel as soon as the attack was over.

I need to go smelt something! *ENDS TURN*

Map viewer
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3169-wards
(Note: some of the "dirt" tiles do not appear correctly, but everything else seems accurate.)

The game file
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=364

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2008, 09:41:51 am »

Is there no one worthy to take this game up again?  I say that the next person who wants to should sign their name below and take up the game.  The other participants haven't spoken up for a while.  All hope is not lost for the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]