Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain Mechanics  (Read 829 times)

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
Rain Mechanics
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:02:11 pm »

Well was just thinking about it..

Why not have rain 'flow' to the lowest point. every drop that lands, becomes a 1/7 puddle of water.. and flows down hill. (something to designate which is up hill which is down hill.. such as one side having a cliff up, the otherside having a cliff down) and it always flows towards the nearest 'down' point..

what might just happen with this.. can have floods.. real floods.. not just rivers swelling, but the rain pooling at low points.. drowning dwarves :P and have to build dikes to hold it back..pumps to keep your fortress dry...
The New Moo!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »

There's already been an elaborate discussion on this in the latest Future of the Fortress thread. Basically, it's a nice idea to have more realistic rain behaviour, but essentially translates into Lag Fest Four Trillion for anyone who doesn't play DF on some sort of super-computer.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:17:35 pm »

ahh yea thats a good point.. the fluid mechanics really is a resource hog.
The New Moo!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:35:39 am »

However... if we were to have a system whereby it automatically labeled a 'flood plain' based on elevation, drainage, rainfall levels, temperature and suchnot, water could gradually build on each 'low ground' tile automatically until it reached a pre-determined point.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:06 am »

hmm.. when weather is fully implimented.. and could have monsoons and what not.. it should be the rate of rain that determined how deep the floodplain got..
The New Moo!

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »

This has the potential to be very resource-intensive for not a lot of benefit..  but, I do very much like the flood plain idea.  In addition to places that could flood easily (such as all those little 10x10 or 15x25ish ~valleys that form in some maps), you could also have it occasionally spawn 1/7 water on the z-level above existing water sources that are open to the sky.

And, for the duration of the flood, everything within... let's say 2-3 horizontal squares of the water source (whether it's a river, an aquaduct, a lake, a sea, whatever) could also temporarily gain the "flood plain" designation.

On the subject of rain mechanics, though...  Building barrels outside and having water spawn in them during rainfall could be cool.  I don't know if it already does that or not, though...

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:36:01 pm »

Thread title made me think about mechanic dwarves falling off of high places...
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:39:31 pm »

Dwarven raaaaiiiin... 
Some stay whole while others feel the pain,
Dwarven raaaaiiiin...