Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: overrun by animals  (Read 458 times)

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
overrun by animals
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:39:56 am »

There are a billion tame animals hanging around my base, bogging my cpu down. I put up cages (regular cages, not animal cages), but those don't seem to capture tame animals.
I marked them all for butchering, but the butcher shop can only work so fast (and I can't seem to get rid of the byproducts fast enough, it's super cluttered).

Whats the best way to control my animal population?

Mark a bridge over lava as a meeting spot and retract it? I'm currently doing this, but the going is pretty slow..

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: overrun by animals
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:45:55 am »

(B)uild a cage(j). (a)ssign your tame animals to it. That will put the animals in the cage.

Now, to kill them, build a tower at least ten z-levels tall. Put your cage at the top of the tower. Put all your animals in it. At the empty space surrounding the tower, next to the floor (make sure the empty space is accessible) designate an activity zone (i) on the open space and make it a (p)it. While still in activity zone mode, hit (P) to set the pit information.

Assign all the animals you want to kill to it. A dwarf will come along and hurl them into the air, oblivious.

Beware, though, if lots of your animals are pets this could cause a tantrum spiral, and lots of fun.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: overrun by animals
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:58:57 am »

haha, awesome
100 stray horses/donkeys/baby horses & donkies just went up in smoke. literally