Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Murderspears the Disemboweler - Goblin Evictors for Hire (Cheap)  (Read 2173 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Murderspears the Disemboweler - Goblin Evictors for Hire (Cheap)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 02:15:06 pm »

I think that, since it's a temple (a rather generic building), it's just made out of standard constructed walls.  Chances are, there just weren't any free grunts available to tear the thing down.

Goblin towers, on the other hand, do require an unorthodox way of taking them down.  They're treated as standard rock, so you have to dig through them.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »

Thinking back a bit, I figured out my mistake. Since I forbade dwarfs from going outside, they wouldn't touch anything outside their tunnels. As soon as I allowed them to (to finish the access tunnel) the readiest dwarf proceeded to remove the underground-yet-outside construction. Go figure.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »

During the seasonal save, windows updated and force-restarted my computer, corrupting the file. GDF Microsoft.

Guess I'll just have to restart...
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 03:29:28 am »

Restart? From where? The begining?

NOOOO!!  >:(
Even the avatars expire eventually.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 12:39:47 pm »

Restart? From where? The begining?

NOOOO!!  >:(

Tell me about it. At least it allows me to upgrade from 39a to 39c.

--- Take 2 ---

You'd think being an unprofessional adventurer would be easy. You'd be wrong. Running around the untamed wilderness alone is hazardous at best, and more often deadly even for the well prepared. No matter how much fun it is, you'll never get over the fact that running around abandoned cities and haunted necropoli in a team if one is basically an adrenaline rushed suicide.
It's better to work in teams. Large teams. Like 200 or so. Well that's my newest plan. But it turns out getting a small city to join you on a quest isn't easy.

Hearing of my daring desire of destruction, our benevolent ruler, the Royal Catten Nekuttossid has commanded me to perform a specific task. Quest across the senselessly named Hill of Oceans, following the superlative brook Abyssclaws the Lashes of Squeezing, to the base of  apply named Wall of Distinctions, and route the fiendish goblins of Ngososukxusm (how does one pronounce that?) and their Demon Lord. Having lost many of battles recently, Ngososukxusm has been faltering in power, making it the perfect time to strike. If the King's Army hadn't been depleted in the recent battles, the greenskins could be whipped out swiftly, but our victories have been costly. As such, my quest is to setup a war camp to with a view of the goblins and tax their resources, mitigating their ability to restore their power.

---

Despite my add, I've only got seven barely acceptable beards to sign up for my project. None of them now the difference between a hammer and mace, but that's the best I've got. I'll send them forth as scouts. Maybe they can get the ground work done before my arrival.
I've given these scouts oracle stones, the only magical items I have ever found in my lonely adventures. They'll let me keep an eye on the "scouts" and direct them.

---

The scouts have reached camp. Boltvice, they want to call it. Fine. Whatever. I don't know why.

Judging from their surroundings, it looks as if they won't have any trouble framing or digging. It's a slopey area, with a large flat area near the brook. Up the mountain is an exposed magnetite cluster and platinum vein! Jackpot! It's a good thing I acquired some coal for the scouts to bring.

A ways off, down a steep hill are the befouling black towers of the Goblins. How they obtained that much obsidian is beyond me. They haven't noticed the camp yet, and I intend to keep it that way.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 10:43:24 pm »

5th Granite
First thing I have the scouts do is dig out a small area underground and bury everything. Halfway thru, they strike Limonite! I'm starting to wonder if I may have to export any iron to keep it from cluttering up the camp. The miners won't mine it out for fear of powdering it useless 'till they become more experienced

15th Granite
These so called scouts don't know how to rough it. They've let a lizard the cats ganked off the food rot on and stink up the place. I hope they've learnt to keep an eye peeled for dead vermin.
That carpenter has started crafting some beds. They may not get their own rooms for a while, but at least they won't sleep on the ground.

26th Granite
The miners have struck a Fire Agate cluster. Don't know why I want to note single gem cluster. They where digging a tunnel to the edge of the brook to set up the underwater reservoir.

28th Granite
The miners struck a Blood Stone cluster. Are they just lucky, or is this place packed with wealth?

White Chalcedony! I've never even heard of it!

13th Slate
I've watched a miner dig dig himself into a corner. He decided to take a nap right there as he cut himself off from the his bed. Madning.

19th Slate
Another Limonite Vein has been struck, this time in the reservoir shaft. A small bit will be mined out and walled back up with Claystone so that we don't have to empty the reservoir later to get the whole vein.

1st of Felsite
We've had out first collapse! I have no idea why I'm happy about it, but the miners have changed their digging pattern to compensate. Olin will rest 'till healed and Zan will continue the efforts.

22nd Flesite
The last miner has struck Native Silver and Horned Silver in the reservoir shaft. It' will have to be dealt with in the same manner as the Limonite Vein previous.

1st Hematite
Olin has not been brought to a bed since his injury, despite there being six unclaimed, and both a trader and mason idle since the incident. I am very displeased with this neglect of a talented miner.

2nd Hematite
Olin the Injured is also a talented brewer. My ire has been aroused. If this dwarf dies, I shall execute all the six other scouts apon my arrival. My Liaison (that's right, my Liaison) will inform them of this apon his/her arrival. (I'm so happy the King has appointed a liaison to me. Not that I need one with my Oracle Stones...)

The scouts have also begun construction of the Trade Depot. The Metalsmith has been busy carving some knick-knacks to mitigate the clutter, and removing them from the fortress will make everyone happy.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 10:16:40 pm »

1st Sandstone
My Liason arrived at the camp, with some merchants in tow. Apon his arrival, the brewer was moved to his bed and fed. The Liaison examined Olin the Injured and diagnosed a broken hip, and brain damage. Well, more brain damage.

2nd Sandstone
The scouts have traded a bunch of mugs and stone knick knacks they somehow found time to chisel for more food and a pair of socks. The traders brought an anvil with them, but the were adamant of exchanging it for essentially a few common crafts.
Pity. The camp requires an anvil to make weaponry.

21st Sandstone
Those merchants finally got bored an left. What were they waiting for? A great crash?
The reservoir is nearly complete. The stone chunks have to be pulled out, and the wells be constructed at the top. This will take a year, as the camp may not be able to afford an anvil 'till next autumn.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 11:13:20 pm »

7th Opal
What luck! A vein of bituminous coal has been struck. Right next to the Limonite vein. Now we don't have to dam the river to mine out the lignite. Might do it anyway, just for laughs.

24th Opal
Carving out the coal vein for later extraction led to another bloodstone cluster. This is a very wealthy area. His Majesty will be very pleased that the greenskins' eviction will access a great amount of wealth.
Also, a line of cage traps have been set up at the entrance to the camp. It appears the scouts noticed the thieves sneaking around the goblin forts and have decided to try and mitigate their boldness.

10th Obsidian
That trader that signed for scouting decided to pick up mining. He's started an exploratory tunnel to see what he can find. He dug a few feet, then fell asleep.
Pages: 1 [2]