Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From the journal of Cog Merchantmile, swordsdwarf  (Read 954 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
From the journal of Cog Merchantmile, swordsdwarf
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:50:37 am »

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a native english speaker, I'm mostly learnt it alone. I never ever wrote a text this size before. But I had so much fun writing this I would like to share it. Criticism is welcome.

From the journal of Cog Merchantmile, swordsdwarf:

Granite 14th , 352

Today I began my long walking towards glory and riches. Today I left my home and began my wandering looking for monsters to kill and hoards to claim. The day was clear and beautiful in Tormentrapid, with a gentle breeze blowing from the east.

I decided to look for companions for my travels. Maybe in my own town I wil find some young one like me willing to risk death to obtain glory.

I didn't look for too much time - in The Greater Way, a road crossing our land, I found Tekkud Pridestandards, his beautiful and well crafted mace in hand .It menaced with spikes of Star Sapphire.

He tells me he had his uncle shot and killed by an orc hero named Azoc WitchTyphon, the Rough Brilliances of Joining in 320, and how he hated all that race. Azoc is a well know enemy of our people, though we don't know if he is alive already.

Tekkud asks me to join him in his quest for vengeance, and I accept his company. While he keeps talking about his god, he is a nice fellow.

I met the mayor of my town, Unib Regoddom, a famous ranger of our people. He tells me, like he always does to everybody, that was him who felled Ultraeaten, the wolf. I never learnt what this wolf did - I think someone will have to tell me one day.

I asked for a challenge, he laughed and told me to kill Nol Prideyells, a gruesome giant. I remember the last assault in 345, when he stole a tin ring, and he even killed Edëm Prophetmetals in 328.

He looked surprised when I told him that I would accept the quest.

Tormentrapid, my hometown, was founded by the orcs in the beginning of the Age of Myths. You can see how it has a long history. To my people, The Lancer of Spirits, it came to importance in 159, when the hero Kivish and an army of brave dwarves conquered the town from the wretched orcs, after a long and bloody series of battles.

As I don't find noone else to rtravel with me and Tekkud, we leave the town and head towards the cave where Nol lives, "Shash Thoth", the Hell of Auras.

We take the old road to the north, The Ways of Glorifying.

Granite 16th, 352

Crossing the Hills of Blenching, at the edges of The Point of Funerals, a mountain range, we arrive at the ruins of the Moutainhome of Wipedwheeled, at The Prairies of Bleeding. Tekkud and I decided to explore the ruins. It was founded in year 60 by a group of our people,and was inhabited until year 343, and then abandoned. The banners of The Mighty Ship, the group who founded the mountainhome, can yet be seen hanging at the abandoned halls. No monsters were found living there, so we left the ruins to walk up to The Hell of auras, near to the east.

We search the cave and found it easily, as it was just by the road. We enter and begin our search, collecting the trinkets the enormous monster stole, until we find it in a small section of the cave!

The female giant, a horrible and toothless wretch who smelled of human beer, laughed as she saw us.

"You came to kill me? Just because I am the crusher of Edëm Prophetmetals, whose bad luck in combat was exceeded only by his bad luck with woman?"

"Let the dead rest in peace, you giant witch! You have live dwarves to deal with!"

"Indeed" said her "Prepare to Die!"

She charges at me, catching me off guard, but I block her attack with my shield. Tekkud came to help, but is struck with a punch in the neck. I fall to the ground trying to reach the backs of the monster, while cutting a bit of hers leg.

she cries of anger, and Tekkud recovers from the blow, hitting her with his mace. When I get to the back of the giant, Tekkud was hitting her repeatedly. I cut of his right ear and she get stunned. Then I hit her at hers leg, and she falls to the ground, inconscious. Tekkud looked at me with a smile in the eyes, and then Tekkud finished her.

"Now poor Edëm is avenged" said Tekkud, cleansing his mace.

We leave the cave and decide to follow the The Trustworthy Road to see to where it leads. Tekkud thinks it leads to another ruin. Let´s see. I wonder why so many ruins at this region. We hadn't this many wars, after all.

Granite 18th ,352

After two days following the road, we reach the site of another abandoned Mountain Hall. Upon arriving, we soon see a wild mountain goat. It jumps acroos the boulders and disappears.

I remember the name at the inscriptions we see upon entering the halls. It isn't know what caused the demise of this place, but it was accosted for years by monter raids. Maybe the people just got tired and left. We pack our loot and return to Tormentrapid to give the good news.

Granite 19th , 352.

Tonight, while we rested, a cougar attacked us! I cutted it in half with my sword, but I must admit I was really scared when I saw its maws trying to bite me just as I awakened.

Granite 20th , 352.

At night, we arrive at town, and I soon found another warrior, a hammerdwarf called Kogan. I greeted wim and asks for him to join us, but he declines, saying we have too much enthusiasm. He says he stalks the region around the town looking for beasts to kill, and had killed several acroos the years. He looks an experienced warrior.

We search for the mayor, but we couldn´t find him, so we decide to sleep and wait for the morning.

Granite 21st , 352

We didn't find the mayor. Maybe he is wandering the wilds. We decide to look for the orc Azoc. I try to say to Tekked that by now he should be dead, with all the battles and 32 years. Orcs live too few years, but he is determined. He says that if Azoc isn't alive, then we should look for his sons, and if his sons are dead, we should look for his grandsons. I just want glory, and I think there is glory in this .It will be a long travel over the wilderness until Hateshimmered, where Tekkud believes Azóc lives.

Hateshimmered is an orc town, and sucessive dwarf attacks to it were repelled over the years. The last was The Fierce Attack in 350.

Granite 26th, 352.

We crossed the hills, and tomorrow we reach Hateshimmered. I think it will be a dangerous mission, but it will be worthy.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the journal of Cog Merchantmile, swordsdwarf
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:47:52 pm »

This is very well done. I like the attention you give to the worlds history. Are you sure you mean orcs, and not goblins?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:04:10 pm »

I forgot to add it is a little modded :)

Thanks for reading!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:52:02 pm »

From the journal of Rigòth Parchedgate, axedwarf:

Slate 24th, 352.

This ugly place where I live is called Ghoulwhips. It was founded in 65 by The Prestigious Ruthlessness, a group of goblins from the nation of The Youthful Work-Scourge.

That nation of little devils was destroyed in 313, after a long series of battles and sieges in what became known as The Outrageous Conflict, started in 219. After almost a hundred years, the goblins and their demon king were defeated by the heroic warriors of my people, The Lancer of Spirits, “Kivish Ubal”.

Some battles of this war are still today sung in our halls – like Arist Gorroth, The Battle of Disemboweling, occurred at Ruthlessyelled. Hundreds of warriors from each side fought this battle, and though we were defeated, it was only the beginning of one the greatest victories campaign against the wickedness in this world.

I don’t like the look of the goblin towers, nor most of dwarves, but it’s our home now. And now we face another war, this time against the savage orcs, and they are proving themselves a fiercer enemy than any goblin.

Looking for glory for me and to my people, today I will lefty my home to meet battles worthy of being fight, to meet companions and enemies, and to take the name of Kivish Ubal and its glory to all of The Everseeing Realm.

Walking inside the Dwarf Towers, I met Edëm Controlsave, a swordsdwarf missing his right ear. He didn’t want to tell me where he loses his ear, but I presume he was in one of the war parties fighting orcs. These days, people that you meet that isn’t crippled by war wounds are children, with patchy beards and too young to fight. This war is destroying our people.

He agrees to join me, and I see he isn’t of many words. He leaves the dark towers and head towards the wilderness, looking for trouble.

Slate 28th, 352.

We arrived after four days of travel in the wild to Wanedwraith, another Dark Fortress. I wish I could see another beautiful Mountainhome instead, but there is none in the region. It´s another place full of orphaned children and crippled warriors.

Felsite 5th , 352

We arrived in another old dark fortress, Fishpoisons: this one is in ruins, and no one lives here.

Felsite 6th, 352.

At last a Mountain Hall! Basementlong, carved in the rock just 10 years ago.

Felsite 11th, 352.

We decided to approach an orc town , and in the way we found a chasm! Batmen were flying near it and attacked us! I killed two of them, but Edëm went away from me. I went searching for him, and found him take a beating of a ratman! I charged at the ratman and killed them. Edëm was quite ashamed.

We found what looks like signs of a recent dwarven settlement, though he was abandoned. Maybe it was the chasm denizens – we found troglodytes and antmen wandering around it. I killed some of them.

Felsite 12th, 352.

I arrived at Hateshimmered, and two orc children attacked me! I had to kill them. Even the children of these monsters are vicious creatures.

Edëm disappeared while in the wilds – I must search for him later.

I heard the orcs abused the bodies of our people! I must find where to give these dwarves a decent burial in the stone. I ran across the city like a great hero of the past wars, slaying orcs as a woodcutter cut trees.

The orcs have heroes themselves, and I must avoid them at any cost, or I will risk being killed by them.

Just as I returned for the searches, I found one of them – at least he boasts like a hero. He said he killed four dwarves alone, including two of our leaders. He was called Masli Sinfuldistinct – I took quite a beating of him, but I managed to break his leg and left his shop victorious. I am too wounded though – I must return later.

At night, returning to the hills, I was ambushed by many chasm dwellers! It was a hard battle. So much for the right of a dwarf to rest his wounds! I took an heavy punch from a troglodyte though, and it let me without breath, while ratmen and antmen swarmed my flank. I think there was dozens of them.

More of them attacked me! They are endless. This time was one antman and four troglodytes. I am beginning to think the orc town was safer. They crippled my ankle and I had to fight while in the ground. With the sun rising, they hide again in their holes at the chasm, I will resume my job of retrieving dwarven bodies at Hateshimmered.

Felsite 13th, 352

I returned to the orc town, only to find it under attack of the chasm denizens! I laugh at their misfortune, because now they will have to deal with me.