Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Near" & "Far" modes for miners...  (Read 424 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
"Near" & "Far" modes for miners...
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:54 am »

In v39e I've noticed that my miners tend to dig in areas as far away from the "centre" of my fortress as possible.  They'll dig for a while over in one corner of the map, then all move to another corner and dig for a while, slowly working closer and closer back to the heart of things.

This is fine, so long as you don't suddenly have a need to dig out a new workshop area quickly - such as when a fey mood strikes.  It's a right pain in the arse to have to "undesignate" largish areas just to get 'em to dig a 3x3 room back in the living areas.   >:(

What would be nice would be to have an option to reverse the order they'd pick the next area for digging out, so they'll finish projects in the middle before heading back out to dig a few more exploratory shafts...

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Near" & "Far" modes for miners...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:33 am »

Related to the way jobs are chosen.  IMO, Dwarves shouldn't dig a little at point A, then walk all the way to point B to do jobs there before finishing everything at point A.  It's inefficient.

Job system discussion here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21800.0
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.